Rotary Table Advice please

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustymiller

Reaction score
Hi,
My first post!! A bit of history first. I got bored with the long winter this year so made a David Kerzal Modular 1 engine, on the lathe. That was the start of the rot!! I then purchased an Amadeal AMA25LV and progressed to a Webster - now finished and running- having aquired tooling along the way. I'm now thinking about a fly fishing reel, and have been looking at rotary tables from Vertex. I can't seem to get any info on the dimensions of the mounting holes for either the 4" or 6" version. My mill table is 7" deep and the 3 slots are on 2.5" centres. I'm trying to determine which size would be most suitable, any suggestions please. The mill is the same as the one from Grizzly i.e a G0704 if that's any help.

My 4" Vertex does not have mounting holes, but rather uses the bar clampe from a standard mill clamping set. I hope I'm understanding your question.
The nose of the clamp bar fit into slots on the side of the RT base. I have a SEIG X2 mill from Harbor Freight and the 4" Vertex is as big as I would use on it.

Chuck

You should get as large of a rotary table as possible. I have an Enco 8" horizontal/vertical version. The reason I'm saying go as large as possible is because it just makes it so much easier to clamp parts onto it. As far as fitting on the table most RT's have a slot on each side so it's just a matter of using a T-nut, stud and nut to hold it down.
gbritnell

You should get as large of a rotary table as possible. I have an Enco 8" horizontal/vertical version. The reason I'm saying go as large as possible is because it just makes it so much easier to clamp parts onto it. As far as fitting on the table most RT's have a slot on each side so it's just a matter of using a T-nut, stud and nut to hold it down.
gbritnell

X2

A Bridgeport table is 8" wide, so not much larger than yours. My 8" PhaseII fits well. Get one that mounts vertically as well as horizontally if you can.

Absolutely get the largest you reasonably can. You will never have enough space for clamps. I have a 9" horizontal/vertical R/T I use on my mill, which has a 7"x30" table. The only drawback is the weight of the thing. I'd like a 10", but I probably couldn't lift it, and the overhang in the back might start to interfere with the column.

Except for Troyke - which is out of my price range and probably yours - I don't see many 9" R/Ts available. Your best bet is probably an 8".

Last edited:
Thanks guys, probably going for the 6" Vertex. The 8" sounds good but noted the weight issue from the above.
Time to do some shopping now!!

Latest posts

Back