Swarf Maker Needs help with a Rotary Valve Steam engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wce4

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
First I wish to say Hello to Everyone on here and say thanks to all that have posted on this site. I have learned a lot by just reading other people post.

Now I need some help with a steam engine I built from bar stock. Most of you on here most likely know about this engine. It is called the River Queen Open Column Launch Engine by edelstaal.
This is the second time I am trying to build this engine. The first time I tried to machine this engine I was 14 years old. I crash and burn on that try (Broke more taps and drill bits then I made parts). Well this time around, I complete every part and not one broken tap or drill bit, (I am a lot older than 14 now) but I can not under stand how to layout the rotary valve. I have tried three times making this valve. I tried cutting the groves at 180 deg apart, 90 deg apart and also this last attempt I found another person on this site who is also a newbie. He was building the LMS model steam launch engine and having a little trouble with it. He cut the first grove starting at 34 deg to 235 deg then the second at 129 deg to 324 deg. I also tried the same on my last valve, and still no luck. I can not get this engine to run. Does any one have a better drawing or layout for this valve then the one that came with the River Queen kit. I would love to get this engine running.

Just a last minute thought. Does it matter if you start the inlet grove at 34deg to 235deg then the exhaust at 129deg to 324deg. What would happen if you change it around. Would this mater?
I cut the grove with a 1/16" dia. end mill bit on a rotary table.

If I post this in the wrong place please forgive and let me know under what title I should post it on this site.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here is a photo of the engine. As you can see I made some changes, the valve is going to the front block next to the fly wheel, both blocks are made from cold roll steel (1018). I made a brass bushing to go into the back pillar block by the cylinder.

20180808_202402.jpg

Last edited:
My timing of inlet steam/air was set to 0* degree TDC with a cut-off at 90* past TDC. Exhaust is set at 180* BDC and closes at 355* just before TDC. This engine will turn over 12,000 rpm on shop air. I could help if you wish to rebuild.
little-red-001-jpg.100046

My timing of inlet steam/air was set to 0* degree TDC with a cut-off at 90* past TDC. Exhaust is set at 180* BDC and closes at 355* just before TDC. This engine will turn over 12,000 rpm on shop air. I could help if you wish to rebuild.
little-red-001-jpg.100046
Thank you for the reply do to health reasons. I am not able to proceed at this time, But as soon as I get back on my feet and into my shop I would love to give it a go. I like your engine did you design it your self.

Back