River Queen Open Column Launch Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1493

Reaction score
I just completed this engine and it runs! It is built from plans that were published by the Edelstaal Technical Institute in 1972. I downloaded them quite a while ago but I don't remember the source. Based on the information in the booklet that came with them, this was a kit that was marketed to owners of Unimats. It has a 1/2 inch bore and a 5/8 inch stroke. So far I have been able to run it on 20 pounds of air pressure. All of the machining was done on a Smithy 3in1 machine. With the exception of the 3/16 CRS rod used for the columns and crankshaft and the brass tubing, all of the other materials were pieces of scrap of dubious parentage. The only real problem that I had was when I broke a tap in the final hole in the cylinder. I annealed the brass pipe and then bent it in a jig that I made out of wood. All in all, it was a fun project. I will post some pictures of the work while it was in progress and a video as soon as I learn more about how to use Photobucket and my camera.

I spend about two hours a day on this board and Madmodder and read all of the posts. I can't thank the people enough who have given their time and energy to these sites. I have learned so much. I feel both inspired and intimidated by the projects that I have seen. These are the best sources of information that I have found.

Thanks to all,

Jack

March4010.jpg

March4007.jpg

Feb16engine003-2.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

LatehprojectFeb11002.jpg

March3004.jpg

Congratulations Jack!

Great looking build! Thm:

Rick

Nice one Jack. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Good looking engine. Good work. Have fun. ironman

Cool engine Jack. Nice build. :bow: Different from most I've seen. What kind of valve action does it have? Can't wait for the video.

Cheers,
Phil

Nice jack. I want to build one of those as well one of many pending projects.
Tin

Great job, Jack.

Please explain how you were able to get the brass tubing screwed into the valve body and cylinder simultaneously. I broke quite a few tubes before I gave up and used a splice connection.

Regards,
Dennis

Great looking engine Jack

Congrats :bow:

Jeff

Great looking build. I remember that engine from when I had my Unimat.
gbritnell

Nice little engine Jack. I just love the looks of that thing! Well done!

Well done Jack...is there going to be a launch to go with it?

Bill

Latest posts

Back