Request for engine plan suggestions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisinestes

Reaction score
I have a mechanically wise but beginning machinist friend that's ready for some beginner engine plans. He's a retired plumber, rancher, & fireman that's familiar with full size IC and steam engines & most things mechanical. I told him I'd round some steam, sterling, and IC plan info up and get it to him. I thought it would be easy to gather up this info from what I've come across, but when the rubber meats the road, I'm not sure what to send him to get him started.:noidea:So, I figured I'd ask here.

So, I'm looking for complete steam, sterling, and IC plans sets geared toward a beginning machinist. He and myself would sure appreciate suggestions. Free plans or purchased plans would be fine. I'd say bar stock sets would be better to start with so expensive castings aren't screwed up.

Thanks!
Chris

In my opinion the best place to start would be with some of Elmer's engines. Plans can be found here. The simplest one to start with is the #25 wobbler. They are all made from bar stock and there are many different types to choose from.

Probably the best first IC engine is the Webster. Plans can be found on the bottom of this web page. This is many people's first IC engine.

Other IC and sterling engine plans can be accuired by emailing Jan Ridders and requesting plans from him. His website is here.

My first IC engine was the Kerzel Hit and Miss. Plans can be found here.

Good luck to your friend. Please have him join this forum and post his progress and ask any questions he has. This is a very good resource for a beginner and there are many helpful people willing to help beginners.

Reactions: gus
The classic "beginners" i.c. engine is the Webster. Many, many of us have chosen it as a first internal combustion engine, and it is about one of the easiest engines out there. The plans are a free download from the internet, and somebody on this website is always building one.---Brian

Reactions: gus
Great Suggestions.

I went to John-Tim's and found the #25 wobbler... I sent the link to him. I think I'll give that one a go for my first one as well.

I have the Webster and Kerzel plans, I'll send those to him.

I went to Jan Ridders' site and thought the Miniature Flame Eater MK2 was cool, so I asked Jan for those plans. I'll send then to Larry,. too.

I'll see if I can get him to join and participate here in the forums... We'll see about that...

Thanks, for the ideas,
Chris

Both of these two engines are awfully easy to DIY. Was my very first two engines done 10 years ago before joining the HMEM. Should one goofed on one part,there will no tears since it was so easy to replace.:)
Since three years ago,Gus went on to build tougher engines and got terribly hooked and addicted.

Latest posts

Back