Re: First Engine No Plans.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jack
Perhaps I should have taken some photos before I had a good clean up but then you wouldn't have been able to see so much. If you could see it now, what a difference a few hours make. Yes ronm the natural light is fantastic and one of the main design features when I built the shop. I too have been used to working in poorly lit workshops so wanted this one as light as possible.

Cheers

John,
You may be right about it being a lash-up but the job is very 'professional' and looks as if it uses parts from another table to alter it. Buying another table is not an option. I bought this one because it was the right price. I don't use them often. If I can buy a replacement knob complete with all the markings I will. If not I will make something that will do the job. I had hoped someone would have some ideas of where to go or who to contact. I may give Chronos a ring when I am off on Tuesday.

It is a very solid 6" table with virtually no wear and zero backlash. I needs to see some use.

Julian

I completed the cylinders and attached them to the frame this weekend. They are made from cast iron rod, 2.625" high, 2.0625 OD, 1" ID.

cylindersdone.jpg

Chuck

I have several of the Lindsay reprinted books. Greenly is a real nice book.
Also nice is 'Model Engineer's Handybook', by Paul N Hasluck. At only 140 pages, not as comprehensive as Greenly.
I've got two of seven books of the Essential Steam Power Library. These books are heavy on theory and graphs, I like more pictures.
A pretty cool book is the 507 Mechanical Movements. For only 6 bucks, a wealth of Rube Goldberg type of gear trains and mechanisms.
Of course the availability is subject to change.

After 60 minutes zero replies but 13 views.......see my point?

Ok its 2330hrs here in UK and several times across USA but?????????????

Julian

Hi Tin,

I agree that the figure you give are probably about right but my maths puts us on 5%. If we can get participation up to 20% that would be great.

I am glad that your son is so heavily involved in your hobby. I have only daughters so can pass nothing on to them.

Myself and Firebird went to the model Engineering show at Warwick here England a couple of weeks ago. The day we went I would guess they probably had over 2000 through the doors. Looking around we were probably amongst the youngest there. We need the active participation of young and old to keep the interest going. Only by many questions and discussions will this happen and if I can do my bit I will.

Julian.

Welcome Bob,

Plans? What are they? Just dive in and see where you go. Take plenty of photos as you go not just at the end. If you are stuck just post one for comment and help.

Julian

Hi Air,

Get some kit when you can and dive in. Seig make a small lathe called the C0. Its very small and can sit on a table top. It is a very basic lightweight lathe and needs some love to bring it up to scratch but you can buy it for less than £200. Look on the web for http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk. He will send anywhere in the world and is very helpful and competitive.

Welcome

Julian

Hi John,

Excellent posting with some good replies. I am glad to see that I can re-use some of the crap I have also bought at Aldi "just in case"!! I recycle some broken drills and files as cutters if something unusual is required but it never dawned on me to use wood work router bits for metal.

A suggestion I will make is fine-tune the profile with a decent dremil bit. You can then give it better shape and rake to help clear the chips we are all attempting to perfect.

Julian

Hi John,

Going by the time of your posts you seem to keep the same hours as me! Use the computer when the controller has got to bed.

I like your design and have downloaded it all. I never build one project at a time. I build two or three at once depending on which bit I fancy doing next. I also have several 'future' projects which have a box each under the bench. Each box gradually collects bits for its project until there are enough bits to make starting viable. This is my next future box.

Thanks for metric....I don't like imperial. All my machines are metric except for my big 40 year old Denford Viceroy lathe. That works in metric when I use a metric caliper so not a problem.

Julian.

Hi John,

Yes I will start a new thread in the break in a minute.

Everyone.

Please don't get me wrong. My original post was because I looked at the ratios and felt more should post. Sometimes a simple "good job" goes a long way both for the builder concerned and also with all those yet to build or post. If we who are happy to post can encourage or motivate others in this hobby then I believe we have done a good job and brought someone else into the community we share.

Speeling ond gwammor dontt marrer iff de meenin iss der an ebrywon cann steel udderstood annd kontwiboot. Did you konw taht if you mlepsil all yuor wrdros but lvaee all the fsrit and lsat lrettes in the ccerrot pecals yuor biarn wlil slitl be albe to raed tehm. So do not worry - typos, different spellings and differing grammar are not a problem. As the late great Eric Morecambe said "I am playing all the correct notes but not necessarily in the correct order!". If its good enough for Eric it's good enough for me.

Julian.

Hi

I have similar problems in that my lathe is imperial and my mill metric. I am in the throws of fitting DRO's to the mill to over come the problem when changing friom lathe to mill. See my post in the tools section for more info and photos.

Cheers

Tom: I had the chance to rummage through the scrap bin where I used to work and get some 12 gauge flat stock and tag ends of angle iron and other scraps. With some of this scrap and some high precision bearings I salvaged from a microfilm reader I made a set of balance wheels much like we used to balance pump impellers in the assembly department. My son and I used this to balance his flywheel for a oscillator engine he designed and built for one of his classes.
S3500124-1.jpg

This works quite well and can static balance flywheels and crankshafts. You could even put the rod and piston on the crank and adjust the crankshaft to be close to balance by adjusting the weight opposite the crank.
don

John, you know why the Roman Empire fell? They didn't have WD-40 or duct tape...

I am in the process of building the Webster engine. I am about ready for a carburator. He has plans to build a carb. but recomends using a R.C. carb. Can anyone recommend a source for a R.C. carb. Any other recommendations appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

John

If I read and understood you correctly you stated that by adding a curved profile to the rod you made it stronger.

By cutting a flute the length of the rod all you did was make it lighter, not stronger.

You can prove this to yourself simply by clamping one of the rod ends horizontal in a vise and hang a weight from the other end and measure the deflection.

Than flute or contour the rod and repeat the test.

Fluting or contouring allows you to use a THICKER material and by fluting or contouring reduce WEIGHT but at the same time having more STRENGTH than a thinner unfluted/contoured rod of the SAME WEIGHT.

Hal

Hello All: My lathes are not as new or as old as some shown on this thread. The Atlas/Craftsman I bought in 1968 and was used by my Dad until I married in 1977 and found a house with room for a shop. I then commandeered it out here to Portland OR and he found a used Atlas 12x36 floor model for his home shop. In 1976 Dad and I bought a Jet knockoff 1430 floormount that was used at the family business because it is 3 phase.
The Craftsman is capable of as good or better accuracy than I am as a self taught "machinist" wannabe. I have made several bits of tooling for it and have many of the accessories that were offered for it. I have 2 four jaw chucks, which makes it really nice when something comes up and I can use the other chuck instead of breaking down a setup that is in progress.
S3500002.jpg

This second little lathe was a kit of castings from January 1965 Popular Mechanics magazine. I finally ordered a 4 jaw chuck from Little Machine Shop at the GEARS show for it. The first one was not up to my expectations but it was replaced very graciously and the second one appears to be quite nice but I still need to make a back plate to mount it on the spindle.
lathedrillpress.jpg

Don

Hello All: Tatooed asked for it so look out here comes my list of stuff I saved. You may be able to find microfilm or copies of the old magazines in a larger library, some of these are on the web also.

Plans and Articles in my files

Steam Hammer Stuart Turner LTD Dwg# 80072 from Cole’s
Round Robin oscillating steam engine by R.S. Hedin 1977 Caldwell Ind.
Open Column Launch engine Caldwell Ind. 1972
Stuart Turner Steam Plant oscillator By Bill Holeman 1943 from Cole’s Power Models
Model oscillating engine by Rudy Kouhoupt 1969
Model walking Beam Engine by Rudy Kouhoupt 1969 Aug. Popular Mechanics
Hot air engine (Henrici type E T Westbury M.A.P. LTD (M2)
The Spinette Geared Impulse Turbine by E T Westbury M A P LTD (M15)
Model Radial engine by Rudy Kouhoupt 1969
Rorary Steam Engine by C I Mise Mise Experimental Engines 1973
Model Vertical steam engine by Rudy Kouhoupt 1969
Stanley Steamer Mini by W J Ryan 1974 (sent to Rick Kerr)
Light milling & Drilling machine by E T Westbury ME 1965 (2 sheet)
Air cooled Hot air engine by Harry Walton April 1961 Popular Science
Magnetic motor looks like steam engine by James McKinney Feb 1960 Popular Mechanics?
A Lathe Milling machine Table July 1972 Popular Mechanics
Boring Indicator For Lathe by Gordon Douglas May 1969 POPULAR SCIENCE
Make A King Sized Tool Post For Hefty Turning Bits by Walter Burton year? Popular Mechanics
Add a Limit Switch to Your Lathe Carriage by Arthur Voltz Oct 1970 Popular Mechanics
Add a Indexing Attachment to Your Lathe by Walter Burton March 1971 Popular Mechanics
Make this Back Holder and Upsidedown Tool Bits by Walter Burton Aug 1969 Popular Science
How to Make and Use Lathe Boring Tools by Walter Burton Aug 1968 Popular Mechanics
Lathe Ball Turning Attachment by Walter Burton when? Popular Mechanics
How to Mill on a Drill Press by Kenneth Littlefield Jan 1969 Popular Mechanics

2 of 4
Mandrel for Tricky Knurling Jobs by Walter Burton—Popular Mechanics November 1962
Electric Cannon Fires BBs by Roy L Clough Jr.---Popular Mechanics November 1963
Fun With a Homemade Thermopile by Harold P Strand--- Popular Mechanics March 1963
Traveling Lathe Oiler---------------------Popular Mechanics March 1963
Precision Indexer For Your Jigsaw by Walter Burton---Popular Mechanics March 1963
Special Punches You Can Make by Walter Burton---Popular Mechanics December 1967
Make a Inclinometer and Get Those Angles Straight by Walter Burton—Popular Mechanics December 1967
One Machinist Tells Another-----Tips and jigs----Popular Science October 1962
One Man’s Prize Engines Popular Science 1964
Make This Handy Indicator For Your Home Shop by Walter Burton Popular Mechanics January 1968
Short Cuts in the Machine Shop------Popular Science June 1968
Make Your Own Deep Hole Drill Bits and other tips---Popular Mechanics August 1965
Chip Shields for Milling Machines by Walter Burton Popular Mwechanics May 1966
One Machinist tell Another Popular Science April 1960
A Tiny Steam Engine by John Burroughs---Popular Mechanics February 1973
How to Put the Right Finish on Lathe Projects by Walter Burton Popular Mechanics April 1970
1955 Popular Mechanics Shop Notes Magazine
Short Cuts for Machinists ---Popular Science March 1966
This Engine Runs Without Fuel by Joseph Kelleher Mechanics Illustrated February 1965
Mini Steam Engine Built With Hand Tools by Andy Sprague Popular Mechanics July 1970
12 Great Lathe Tricks by Walter Burton Popular Mechanics July 1970Build Your Own RPM Counter by Howard McEntee Popular Science January 1970

3 of 4
Amazing No-Fuel Space Engine by Harry Walton Popular Science July 1965
Make This Lathe Indexing Attachment by Charles J Kasanda Popular Mechanics October 1970
Solve Holding Problems With a Threadless Nut by B W Ervin Popular Mechanics October 1970
Spherical Hole Cutter by Carl copenhaver Popular Mechanics October 1970
Hand Operated Arbor Press by Louis Ashley Popular Mechanics September 1970
Make This Model Steam Tractor by Rudy Kouhoupt Popular Mechanics February 1971
Die Holder Makes Thread Cutting Easy by Anton Barkey Popular Mechanics February 1971
Make Your Own Gemstone Faceting Machine by Moodie E Braun Jr Popular Mechanics 1971
Add A Limit Switch To Your Lathe by Arthur Voltz Popular Mechanics February 1971
Add a Rest to Your Lathe by Walter Burton March 1969 Popular Mechanics
Solve Holding Problems with a Threadless Nut by B W Ervin Oct 1970 Popular Mechanics
12 Great Lathe Tricks by Walter Burton July 1970 Popular Mechanics
Amazing No-Fuel Space Engine You Can Build by Harry Walton July 1965 Popular Science
Steam Engine Plans by Manly Banister Jan and Feb 1963 Popular Mechanics
You Can Make This Incredible Elbow Engine by Jeremy Harris July 1965 Popular Mechanics (YAAAH RIGHT!!!) mine doesn’t work yet
The Tesla Turbine by R S Hedin Nov 1984 plans
Steam Engine From car Air Conditioner Compressor by R S Hedin 1978 Caldwell Ind. plans
Model Makers Metal Lathe by Howard Natter Jan 1965 Popular Mechanics

(Same engine different years)
Mystery Engine Breathes Flame by Harry Walton Feb 1950 Popular Science
An Old Time Engine That Refuses to Die Sept 1959 Popular Science

A Model Hydraulic Ram by Brad Smith July 1990 Gas Engine Magazine
Stuart 5A steam engine plans 1954/1978 MAP LTD.
I apologize if this is too long, the moderator can delete it if he desires.
don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back