Re: First Engine No Plans.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bog: I tested and certified new and used sewage pumps for 32 years and it was anything but dry. What about the fellow septic pumper on the Red Green show? I cannot remember the names because we haven't had the show here for a couple of years--too bad, I enjoyed it. That show probably sold more Duct Tape than any advertising.
Don

lugnut said:
http://www.greensteamengine.com/
there is even a video of it running.
I may have to take another whack at it.
Mel
Now that is quite interesting. I don't see what the blue thing on the right is
doing. It dosen't appear to have anything to do with the valving or control.
I would realy like to see more details on the entire thing but especially
the "swivel" joint to the cylinders.
I think I could get "enthused" enough to try building one if the details
are somehow forthcomeing. :)
...lew...

Had this so long I had almost forgotten about it.
Julian

Dynajet.jpg

Dynajet2.jpg

Hello All: As was mentioned in my previous post about the wrong rotation impeller in the casting kit and making a new impeller, I finally got around to taking a picture of the impellers.
S3500004J.jpg

My rotary X-Y table was dismounted from the cross slides and mounted on a homemade angle plate to be used horizontally or vertically on the mill drill. I made a spindle nose adapter to mount the lathe chucks right off the lathe. This setup is very useful for turning, then milling and returning the chuck for more work on the lathe without losing any "centers of rotation. Another plus is having two 4 jaw chucks to be able to work on one or the other machine if needed without disrupting a setup.
S3500122Z.jpg

Don

jgarrett said:
Had this so long I had almost forgotten about it.
Julian

Dynajet.jpg

I remember those. Must have been in the 50s or so.
Do you know for sure when you got it?
...lew...

First off, Hello and thanks to the site admins for setting up this forum. I found it through another forum while researching and learning about steam power.

I am an artist/blacksmith as my profession, with about eight years of machining experience prior to that (primarily CNC for Tool & Die work, but well versed in all manual machines as well). I’ve been active for years in several places online, but mostly forums geared towards art in general, or metalwork related to my livelihood.

My interest in joining this forum was to hopefully further my learning about steam power, with a specific interest in making a steam power plant “upgrade” for a human power art-car that I finished earlier this year. The vehicle was assembled almost entirely from old discarded farm implements, and what could not be found was forged out in the shop. Imagine a railroad handcar, but with large steel wheels for traveling overland.

Thanks again for the forum, and I hope to learn as well as contribute where ever I can.

LCN

Let's not let our egos run wild here, boys...the difference between Man & the lower animals is the ability to make & use tools. So we who can do that are human, nothing more, those who can't are just apes... :lol:

shred said:
Found this while looking for scrap aluminum:

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1394068&convertTo=USD

Are they worried somebody is going to rewind all that swarf back into barstock so they can see the shape of the hole where the part came out??
This maybe a strange American use of the word "mutilate" but I can't see how you could mutilate that stuff anymore than it already is!

Jon, I have a UV leak detector kit I got from Snap-on mostly for air conditioning. It has an ultraviolet light, & dye that you put in the system. The kit includes dye for A/C, fuel, oil, & coolant. You add the dye, run it a while, & the dye stain will glow bright yellow when the UV light shines on it...sounds like it might work for your situation. If you don't want to buy a kit, you could prob. find a shop w/one, they might do a check for a reasonable price. The kit cost over $100 from Snap-on...
Ron in CO...

I just don't seem to find any time to actually make anything yet. Working in a machine shop 45 plus hours a week takes the fun out of it. I also do custom machine work at home so the little projects have to wait. I have many plans for the future for engines and things like that. This is a great site and really glad I found it.

Welcome peteski, This is a great place to watch and learn about small home made engines. These guys are real craftsman. I can spend a whole lot of time just looking and admiring their work. And I'm learning new things every day.
Good to have you on board
Mel

There are Spiral Point and Spiral Flute taps. Has anyone used the Spiral Flute taps? Are they any good? I think the majority of my work is in Aluminum and Brass.
Mel

along time ago my cousin and i made a tennis ball gun/launcher and we use either (sp) for the fuel...........we had soaked the ball in either and when we fired it, it flew about 200 feet across the back yard and right into the barn full of hay! :shock: we burnt the barn right to the ground.
needless to say we got the beating of our life that day...........but we tried it again about 2 weeks latter...............after all no more barn to get in the way!!!

chuck

thanks for posting these pictures now i have another engine project to add to my mile long list!!! :D :lol: :eek:
could you post pics of the push rod side of the engine?

chuck

Chuck: Thank you for the kind comments. The Hit and Miss engine was built several years ago and finished just before we went on vacation to our home town. My Father collected and restored old engines and trucks/cars so I left the starting of the engine for him. We had a good time and got it running in quite a short time, it was fun and with this size engine there is room for it at home with the added ease of moving it around. I never did quite get the flyweights to work quite correctly so that is still a "to do" project. The 6 cycle engine I built from articles in HSM, and when I got it running I called Dad and did not say anything at first, just held the phone up to the running engine and then asked "What kind of engine is this?"
6cycleengine.jpg

I haven't done any IC engines in the past several years but have built a few air engines, some tooling, and helped teach my Son a little machining to build his oscillator engine for collage. My interests lie in the somewhat shorter projects and tooling for my machines. This forum has helped me to regain my interest in playing in the shop. I thank everyone here for that.
Don

i'm glad to hear you are getting interested in your shop again!!
i try to get out in my shop every day and do atleast one thing to a model, sometimes i work for hours and the next time i just sweep the floor and look at things.
now looking at you second picture i see it has the crank pin attached right to the flywheels, i have never seen that before. very neat ideed.
i see you used ignition points, what did you use for the high voltage spark coil?
i have tried a transister ignition but i had no luck with it, i know they work but not for me.

i now use an ignition coil out of a motorcycle or lawn mower and wire it to a ford fuel pump relay, i have used this set up for the last few months with my associated engine and so far it works ok.

any who nice engines and i hope to see more of them form your shop.

take care
chuck

Chuck: The coil is a 6 Volt coil Dad gave me from one of the restorations he was doing (took 4 pickups to get one whole one back together). The points and condensor are Mopar parts. I just hooked it up as the plans showed. The box can be used for either engine, the desired engine can be flipped upside down and carried inside the box for safety. One end of the box is hinged to allow the "lid" to be slid out and changed or rotated to hook up the model, then the lid is slid closed and the end latched shut with carrying handles on each end of the box. Self contained and safe for the model.
S3500001-1.jpg

S3500002-2.jpg

I do spend a fair amount of time in the shop tinkering around and working on things the Wife buys at estate sales that need a little fixing up so she can try to resell them. That keeps us both with something to do and she calls me if she finds any tools I may want. She has learned that I will be happy with any tools in a red box (Starrett).
Don

John that is so cool! Thanks for the Youtube link. You are an inspiration to us all! So will you add packing a seals so to run on steam?
Thanks again
Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back