Quick & dirty toolpost grinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanofid

Reaction score
Good job, Joe. It may be quick to make, but still looks like a clean set-up. As fast as these little grinders spin I would think you could get a pretty nice finish on what ever you're turning.

Dean

That's a good idea for cutting the T/C to length for the points Joe.
Rob

Great idea Joe! Neat job you did there.

Be meticulous with your lathe covering up and post job area clean up. That T/C and diamond debris is like Plutonium to get rid of. :eek:

Thanks for the kind comments, guys. I've just finished cutting my piece of welding rod into little buttons, it worked a treat. (and have several more of them than specifically required... those buggers are small. Already one is now hiding somewhere on the floor of the shop :big:)

Cheers, Joe

Joe.
that is very cool!
and I have a dremel here also ;D

I had done something similar but just used the collar from a router attachment for the Dremel with the female threads and mounted it on a plate so I could clamp it to the compound. But you inspired me so I went out today and drilled a piece of aluminum then threaded it and cut some of the threads out with a boring bar so the Dremel would seat firmly. I am not very experienced at doing internal threads but it worked out pretty well.

Thanks for the motivation!

Joe;

one Taig Lathe - check (got that)
one Canadian Tire China Dremel - check
one piece of Aluminum angle - check
one diamond wheel - check
one 3/4" - 16 tap - bugger.....I'll be right back.....

Did you use anything special for the welding rod? Is the tungsten actually a TIG welding tip as opposed to welding filler rod?

Nice work! Here I go making tooling again....

Cheers
Garry

Hi Garry

The welding rod (3/32 x 7") with a little bit of red paint on one end is what ever it is.... (you can write what I know about welding inside a matchbook and have room over for the Oxford Dictionary). A buddy of mine came up with two of them when I asked him where to find such a thing, he claimed to have scored them free from the fellow behind the counter at the welding gas supplier he works next-door to. I didn't ask any further questions.....what ever it is, it was damned hard :big:

Joe

joe d said:
.....what ever it is, it was damned hard :big:

Sounds like tungsten carbide TIG electrode. Not a welding rod, per se, (although they wear out), but the little thing that sticks out of a tig torch and directs the arc to your weldment.
Just in case you ever want to get some more, you'll know what to ask for...

:)

Dean

Here is what I ended up with. Took (borrowed) your idea and then adapted it to my tool post.

toolpost.JPG

Hi

Now with carefull planing and very gentle cuts you will be able to grind the inside or outside diameter of a cylinder to specs. I see a lot of these little adapters being made now that the first couple have sprung to life.

This was a great build by both Joe d and black85vette. :bow: :bow:

Cheers

Don

Deanofid said:
Just in case you ever want to get some more, you'll know what to ask for...Dean

thanks Dean, I do like to know these things... beats going to the counter to ask for some of that metal coloured thingy stuff. Many times fallen prey to the "I know what I want, I just don't know what it is" from others, hate to have to play that game myself!

Joe

Back