Quick Change Grinder / Cut-Off / Buffer / &

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart3

Reaction score
Not to hijack Black85vette's sanding station but to give some ideas.

Built this Quick Change grinder about 16 years ago. It has been working good for me. It is something that is used about everyday that I'm in the shop. It uses a 3/4" R-8 collet with draw bar. All the wheels are mounted on 3/4" shanks. Variable speed is a real plus. The reversing direction of rotation is only used with a rubber abrasive wheel for knife sharpening. The knife blade is pointed away and near the top. This works good for judging the angle of blade to wheel circumference.

Have several table/rests but most the time none is used. One table that works good with a cutoff wheel is a swing table that pivot into the wheel. Work can be clamped on the table. There is a non-reinforced abrasive cut off wheel that works super good for cutting high speed steel lathe bits. Makes it easy to make thin cut off blades from lathe bits.

QuickChangeGrinderxx.jpg

There is some pictures taken when was making this QC Grinder

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0903/ghart3/Quick Change Grinder/

That is a superb job,looks factory made,well done
Don

Dang it!!! Thought I was building a new Porsche and turns out its just a 1963 Volkswagen Bug. :wall:

Seriously. That's some nice work! Guess I just have to be content with the price of my project. $6 so far!!

Very professional-looking grinder! :bow:

black85vette said:
Dang it!!! Thought I was building a new Porsche and turns out its just a 1963 Volkswagen Bug.
Hey, watch it! :p I've got a '62. ;D

i love it!! great idea for people with small space and who dont want stand alone machines the only other thing you may want would be a linisher and they are easy to make lol

big thanks for showing its great to see genies ideas like that :bow:

whats the run out like when you mount the grinding wheel?

That's a very nice, innovative machine. I can imagine that it does get used a lot.

Chuck

Back