Questions about a steam powered Stearnwheeler.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toad281

Reaction score
I am new to steam engines, but have a bit of experience in model building . I am thinking of building a rc sternwheeler and would like some input on the ideas running about in my head. First to describe the tentative project. I am thinking of a rather large model. about 6 feet long and 2ish wide. The drive would be two double acting cylinders through a crosshead to the sternwheel. [although I may have to go to a flywheel first to smooth out the timing] I have on hand some pneumatic cylinders that are aluminum bore and piston . They have a 1-1/2 inch bore and a 8 inch stroke. The pistons have a double "o" ring that may be a problem. If so I can turn out some aluminum [or brass] pistons to replace the existing ones. I see a online video of a model called "The Liberty Belle" that looks something like what I am thinking of building. It is shown running on less than 30 lbs of steam pressure. I realize that I still have valving, and of course the boiler, all the plumbing, fueling, and on to plan . So the first question is has anyone tried using pneumatic cylinders for steam power?

I have not used pneumatic cylinders with steam but have used them on hot processes and one thing is for certain you will need at least to change all the seals to Viton.

Thank you for the advise, I thought that the seals and o-rings would have to be changed out. I have visited the Elmers site before, quite interesting stuff there. The boat I am thinking on, has the drive cylinders attached almost directly, to the paddle wheel. One cylinder on each side of the craft , relatively slow rpm. The valving on the model , " The Liberty Belle" seems rather extensive , I do not think I will be getting that complicated, but time will tell. It will be a few months out before I get started, hopefully by then There will be some more good advise from the forum, and some warmer weather.

Latest posts

Back