Question - "Sweated"?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughT

Reaction score
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I have noted a few times references like "screwed 5 BA and sweated" - I wonder if someone can tell me what "sweated" means in this context??

I've 'screwed' a few things and sweated afterwards, even said a few special words but I'm guessing not the context you mean.
I too will wait for a correct response as I'm unsure too.

Hi,
Sweated in the plumbing world means soft soldering..lead. Is this thread acting as a stud?
Tony

Hi Tony,

Thank you.

Its actually the connection for a rod to an eccentric bracket (strap).

Sweating is a term used to describe joining two pieces of metal with soft or hard solder. In its original use, it meant coating the surface of the metal with a thin layer of solder and then with the two pieces clamped together, it was heated to the melting point and allowed to cool under clamp pressure.

I don't know of any relationship between this and a 5 BA screw unless it was the predecessor of Loctite. Maybe someone from the land of BA screws will have an answer.

Hi Stan,

Thank you - I suspected it may have been something to with soldering.

Your reply has prompted another quick question - which Loctite would you normally use - I just had a quick look at the Loctite website and there must be about a dozen product variations for threadlocking and/or sealing?

Hugh:
You are right about all the different Loctite products that are available for professional use. In model building, I just use two. One is purple and it really just keeps things from falling off and a little force will break the bond. The other one is red and needs heat to break the bond. It all depends on how optimistic you are! BTW, I am now using Permatex products, the bottle is twice as big for the same price.

Back