Quarter Scale Merlin V-12

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You beat me to it George, good memory. I thought I also saw it used in an SIC engine build too, something smallish, but same implementation.

Just wondering, what is it about silver sheet that yields desirable properties in this application? Lubricity or wear? On some build I thought I saw the stock extend over the journal web edge & figured silver would be good in that regard, but this is a half-circle? Anyway, possibly bronze sheet can also be had, but would need to confirm alloy spec.

http://www.whimsie.com/brass%20sheet.html

Last edited:
Both ends of the crankshaft have to be machined for power take-off shafts, and their locating recesses need to be concentric with the end journals. The lathe set-up to properly do this requires a steady rest, but the rests on both of my lathes are too wide to fit into the journals behind the spigots on either end of the crankshaft. The steady rest on my 9x20 is almost useable, but the ball bearing support arms are about an eighth inch too wide. I ordered some slightly narrower ball bearings, but I also had to machine a new set of thinner arms. The new arms aren't as beefy as the originals, but they are plenty adequate for the machining I need to do.
After chucking up the front end of the crankshaft in my lathe's three-jaw, I adjusted the steady rest for less than a half thousandth runout at the rear bearing. Since the steady rest ball bearings ride on the finished bearings of the crankshaft, I made up a simple cardboard shield to keep chips from finding their way in between them where they could mar the crankshaft's newly finished surfaces. As an extra precaution I also used the crankpin support collars for these final turning operations. The machining on the rear end consisted of facing off the spigot and bringing the end main bearing to its final length. A parting tool would have speeded up the process; but there wasn't room for one, and so the quarter inch wide spigot was slowly faced away at .008" per pass. The rear main bore was also opened up to later accept a splined coupler.
The crankshaft was then flipped around in the lathe so the front spigot could be transformed into the crankshaft's front flange. The finished rear bearing was now supported in a 5-C collet chuck while the front main bearing was indicated in the steady rest. Another cardboard shield was made, and then the half inch thick front spigot was turned down and faced to a .075" wide flange. The flange was then bored for a locating recess for the front drive shaft as well as a second smaller and deeper bore for an oil sealing plug.
When the machining was completed I was finally able to sanity check the fit of the crankshaft in the crankcase. Although I haven't yet made the shell bearings, the crankshaft seemed to fit as hoped between the webs with no measurable forward/aft play. I had to modify many of the dimensions of the crankshaft from those given in the drawings in order to match my 'short' crankcase; and I've been a bit anxious since I haven't been able to do any trial fitting until now, after the spigots were removed.
The last step will be to cap the ends of the journals and seal up the internal oil passages. - Terry

241.jpg

242.jpg

243.jpg

244.jpg

245.jpg

246.jpg

247.jpg

248.jpg

249.jpg

250.jpg

251.jpg

252.jpg

Man, that last shot of the crank inside the upside-down engine casing should hang in the Tate Gallery - way better than most of the so-called art in there!

The final step in the Merlin's crankshaft construction was to cap the ends of the journals. This required twelve pairs of turned aluminum end-caps that fit into the end recesses cut earlier. These caps seal the pressurized oil paths between the main and crankpin journals. Each pair of end-caps is drawn into the ends of the journals with a 2-56 tie-bolt between them. Later I'll add Loctite to the caps and tie-bolt threads to ensure everything is oil tight under pressure, but for now they're just temporarily assembled. The quarter scale drawing show these caps having plain flat ends, but I dished their faces to look more like the end-caps in the full-scale engine. It was nice for a change to make a few (dozen) simple parts that could be scrapped if necessary without creating a catastrophe.
I've been wondering why the Rolls engineers decided to bore the journals in the first place since it created extra machining and a lot of additional engine parts. Their decision might have been made to save weight - a factor in performance aircraft engine design. Reducing the crankpin weight has the additional benefit of reducing the mass of the counterweights required to balance them. I've read that the engines in some fighter aircraft of the period weren't fully balanced in order to save weight, but I don't know if this was the case for the Merlin. Another reason for the bores might be the oil reserve they hold that's available to the bearings during start-up as well as during combat maneuvers when even a dry sump's oil pressure might fluctuate. I've also been curious about the Merlin's counterweight design because although it looks cool, it's functionality isn't all that clear to me.
I included a photo that I found online of a full-scale Merlin crankshaft. The front flange of the full-size crankshaft doesn't have the three scallops that are a part of my and Zapjack's quarter scale versions. These scallops are a deviation from the quarter scale crankshaft drawing; and they were a compromise that I, and probably Zapjack, made to simplify the tooling required to bore the journal recesses. The scallops will eventually be hidden by the driveshaft flange; but I thought they were cool looking standalone features of the crankshaft, and so I chose the simpler tooling.
The next step is to fabricate the shell bearings so I can finish testing the fit in the crankcase. I've been working on a process to press out the silver shell bearings, and although I'm still refining it, I've managed to create my first usable first pair. - Terry

253.jpg

254.jpg

255.jpg

256.jpg

257.jpg

258.jpg

Last edited:
My that really is beautiful. As others have said, it is a shame that it will be hidden. :(

This shot deserves to be blown up and framed for your office/shop wall !

Scott

attachment.php

I keep thinking the journals are finished because they shine like chrome. And then a few days later some new holes & features appear! So I haven't seen anything resembling tool post grinder or even lapping tool. Is the procedure basically turn these to within 'real-real-close' & then hand finishing to final dimension with abrasive backed sticks or...?

How have you found that stress proof for teeny skim cuts? (it doesn't have work hardening tendencies?)

Have you been able to get in there to measure journals with standard mic ok, or does that require some jiggery (mic frame hanging up on neighboring counterweights etc.)

What is a typical +/- you figure you need to be within across all bearing journals?

7-16-2015 0000.jpg

Man im telling you, watching that 4th axis machining of the counterweights makes me so so so jealous!

Peter,
I can't reliably check the uniformity of the diameter across the width of the journal because there just isn't enough space due to interferences with the corner radii and the counterweights. I'll know more when the shell bearings are completed and installed as then I'll be able to use Plastigauge to measure the bearing clearance across the entire journal. With seven main bearings and this being a model engine that will be run for display and not for any kind of competition, I imagine I could get away with a lot of clearance and never even know it. The crank journals are as cut with the bifurcated insert, and with about 30 seconds polishing with 400g and 600g strip paper. The cutter was carefully indicated in, and after watching it cut I would not be surprised if the uniformity was unmeasurable. With my modified insert and while cutting near the headstock or tailstock I was able to take a thousandth (diameter) cut. The 1144 showed no tendency to work-harden and was really nice to work with except for boring. I've just used it to make some dies for my shell bearings, and so far I've not found the secret to getting as nice a bore finish as I can get with 12L14. I was planning to use it for my cylinder liners due to its great stability, but I'll first have to improve my bore finishes. - Terry

Last edited:
After reading some of the responses to my question about using silver bearings, I checked out Ron Colonna's 270 Offy and, indeed, he used .010" thick silver sheet liners for the crankshaft's three main bearings. He was able to manually form the thin silver sheet into the bearing webs and caps using a piece of drill rod as a planishing tool. The thin metal was easily worked and provided a bearing surface. I didn't get deep enough into his design to understand the oil system, but there doesn't appear to be any conventional oil grooves in the liners.
Had I originally planned on using silver, and knowing what I now know, I would have also planned for thinner bearings than the .053" ones I now need. During construction I had two opportunities to choose the bearing thickness, but since I was planning to use SAE 660 bearing bronze, I selected a convenient machining thickness for that alloy on my lathe.
I thought about using silver after realizing that I had not been able to turn the crankshaft's main journals perfectly round by cutting them on a lathe. A softer bearing material would allow me to plan for an initially tight fit that would quickly open up just enough to conform to the journals' imperfections. Babbitt came to mind, but it likely wouldn't stand up to the pounding it would receive in a model IC engine. Pure silver has less than half the hardness of bearing bronze, and since I already had some hidden away in a closet I decided to give it a try.
I learned a lot from my failed attempt to press out a first bearing from a chunk of silver inserted between the halves of a steel die set that I had machined. My 20 ton press deformed the dies as much as it formed the silver. I spent the next few days playing with the remains of my dies as well as my re-melted scrap silver in order to get some some hands-on experience in working with the two.
The first and most disappointing lesson learned was that in order for me to have any hope of forming the bearings using dies, the silver blanks would have to start out much closer to their final thickness than I had hoped. The shop roll that I was using to roll out my one ounce ingots exerted enough force, but its control was very coarse. The rolling had to be done in multiple passes, and so the final thickness was a crapshoot. A miniature jeweler's rolling mill is probably better suited for this type of work, but lacking one I ended up re-melting and re-rolling my ingots several times. My empirical and very lofty goal for the starting blank thickness eventually evolved to .053" +.003"/-.000".
The second lesson learned was that it was much better to finesse the silver into its final shape by beating on the dies with a wooden mallet instead of brutalizing them in a hydraulic press.
Using my new-found knowledge I re-purposed a few of the original dies and created some new ones to manually form the silver with much less trauma to the dies. The dies are very simple, but since my crankcase has two different web widths, I (needlessly) duplicated a couple of the dies to accommodate two different bearing widths. I included a feature on the Final ID Die to press-form a .055" wide x .020" deep oil groove. All the dies except for the large ones were heat treated. The large dies were machined from Stressproof since I didn't have any large diameter harden-able steel.
The forming process starts out with an annealed silver blank having the target thickness and its dimensions closely trimmed to the bearing's final length and width. The blank is inserted between the ID Starting Die and the OD Starting Die, and a mallet is used on the ID Starting Die to rough form the bearing half shell.
The rough formed shell is then inserted on the Width Die, and the two sides of the blank are sanded against 220g/400g paper on a hard flat surface to bring the shell to its final width.
The shell is then inserted on the Height Die, and the two ends are simultaneously sanded until the shell has been brought to its finished height. The Height Die has an additional thousandth crush height built into its design.
The shell is returned to the Starting OD Die, and this time the mallet is used to pound the Final ID Die into the shell blank in order to start the formation of the oil groove. The goal of this step is to get the Final ID die deep enough into the blank so the combination can be inserted into the Final OD Die which is where the groove will actually be formed. It turned out that centering the ID Starting Die during this step was the most critical part of the entire forming process. All my scrapped parts originated from poor centering of the oil groove during this step.
The bearing shell, which is now sandwiched between the Final OD Die and the Final ID Die, is set on a pair of sturdy metal support blocks so a large wood mallet can be used to complete the forming process. The combination is rotated on the support blocks while the periphery of the Final OD Die is pounded with the mallet over the top (only) 180 degree portion of the die resting on the bearing. The Centering Guides help keep the blank centered in the die, and they are designed to provide visibility to the bearing as it's being formed. As the oil groove is deepened, excess metal is displaced and the shell grows a bit in width. There's no positive stop in this die set to halt the forming process when the the final shell thickness is reached except for an increase in forming resistance. It's difficult but not impossible to go too far. The Height and Width Dies are used once more to finish the final edge dimensions.
The bearing is finally inserted between the Height Die and the Starting OD die to verify the final bearing dimensions. The mallet is used against the combination resting on a hard flat surface to set the final bearing dimensions without damaging the oil groove.
The process sounds more complicated than it really is. The most difficult step is creating the starting blanks; and, frankly, I don't recommend my method for creating them. I've done some research and silver sheet is available in a wide range of gauges from online jewelry supply houses. I plan to design the rod bearings around commercially available silver sheet instead of rolling any more ingots. After making the first two bearing halves, the fabrication time dropped to less than five minutes per shell.
For my particular bearing design I was able to get six half shells out of a single one-ounce ingot. At the current price of silver the cost of each bearing pair worked out to about $5.00. My bearings were thicker than they needed to be, and this ran up their cost as well as the effort to make them. I hope to do better planning for the rod bearings.
I sanity checked my first pair of bearings using Plastigauge on the best-behaved number seven journal. Due to the max .0018" TIR that I previously measured on the three center journals, my planned target clearance for all the bearings was .003"; and this is very close to what I measured on the number seven journal. The next step is to drill the holes in the top shells for the oil injectors which will also serve as anti-rotation stops. The rest of the bearings will then be installed and measured. - Terry

259.jpg

260.jpg

261.jpg

262.jpg

263.jpg

264.jpg

265.jpg

266.jpg

267.jpg

268.jpg

269.jpg

270.jpg

271.jpg

Last edited:
The final step in the bearing construction was fitting them to the crankshaft. Since I wasn't able to turn all the journals to the exact same diameter, the bearings required individual fitting. The goal I set for myself was to end up with a freely rotating crankshaft with a maximum .003" clearance at each journal.
I installed the seven lower bearing halves in the crankcase before laying in the crankshaft. I was relieved to see the crankshaft spin freely with no sign of binding, and I took this as an indication that it wasn't noticeably bent or warped. My plan for the fitting process was to install the bearings one-by-one while continually checking the crankshaft for drag.
I installed the first upper bearing on the #7 journal and torqued its cap down while rotating the crankshaft. The bearing added no noticeable drag, and Plastigauge showed a .003" clearance. This process was repeated on the #1 journal with essentially the same results. Thanks to a bit of luck and the fact that the two outside journals were well supported by the lathe headstock and tailstock while being turned, their dimensions were right on target.
The journals toward the center of the crankshaft, though, were another matter. They were victims of the workpiece flex, and previous TIR measurements showed they didn't end up perfectly round. The installed bearings on three of the five inner journals nearly seized the crankshaft, and so their i.d.'s had to be opened up. Plastigauge measurements showed these particular journals were oversize by as much as .0015". Measurements taken while turning the journals had led me to believe they were more consistent, but those measurements weren't entirely reliable due to the TIR errors and the limited micrometer access.
In order to free up the crankshaft, the bearings for the three over-size journals were hand-fitted one-at-time using a shop-made lap. The lap was simply a single layer of 600g paper wrapped around a mandrel that had been turned, to match the target i.d. of the bearing. I used the lap on both the upper and lower bearing halves for these three journals, and so the fitting process took a while with the crankshaft coming into and going out of the crankcase several times.
An unexpected issue that I ran into while fitting the bearings to these three journals seemed to be related to the two thousandths crush height that I had built into the bearing height gage. This additional bearing height somehow created a problem that required more material than should have been necessary to be removed from the bearing i.d. to obtain a satisfactory fit. I didn't understand what was going on here, but I ended up removing the crush height.
Plastigauge measures the diametral bearing clearance by measuring the space between the crankshaft journal and the upper bearing while the cap is torqued down, and the crankshaft is resting at the bottom of the lower bearing. Bearing clearance is primarily important for oil control. With too much clearance there will be excessive oil leakage from the bearings resulting in increased windage losses and possibly increased oil consumption. Also of concern is the effect that excessive leakage can have on oil pressure. In a full-size automobile engine the general rule of thumb is .001" clearance for each inch of journal diameter. In a typical street engine this translates to .0020"-.0025" clearance. I've personally measured .004" bearing clearances in an engine that was running fine before disassembly. In my Merlin's case, due to the measured .0018" journal imperfections that I can't correct as well as its nearly one inch diameter journals, I set the target bearing clearance to .003".
At this point the anti-rotation stops for the bearings weren't yet installed. The bearing caps were previously drilled for oil injector flanges, but the injector tubes had not yet been installed. These tubes double as anti-rotation stops once the upper bearing halves are drilled for them. After all the bearings were fitted, the caps were removed and the upper shells were drilled for the injector tubes. A simple drilling fixture was created so the bearing shells could be accurately drilled for these tubes. Small brass injector tubes were Loctited into the bearing caps, and the tops of these tubes will eventually mate to the flanges of the oil supply lines. After verifying the fit with the installed injector tubes, the bearings were marked with their location so they can always be returned to the journal to which they were fitted.
With all the bearings fitted, the crankshaft seems to turn as freely as it does when resting on the just the lower bearing halves. Its difficult to quantify, but when one of the counterweights is 'thumb flicked' the crankshaft will spin 1 to 1-1/2 revolutions before coming to rest. This isn't quite as freely-turning as the crankshaft in my last radial, but that engine had only three bronze and two ball bearings compared with the seven sleeve bearings in this engine. The final measured clearances ranged from .003" to .0035".
I guess I'll need to let the kids know about the salvage value of the silver that will be inside this particular engine so they don't price it too low in the big garage sale, someday. - Terry

272.jpg

273.jpg

274.jpg

275.jpg

276.jpg

You ARE going to leave instructions to let the rest of us know about the date of that garage sale aren't you? Tell them that when they have that garage sale they'd better have an auctioneer on standby because they'll probably have bidding wars over all those beautiful toys that you've got. Ah well, that's a couple of decades away yet because I know you've got a lot more engines you want to build.

Don

With the crankshaft completed I was anxious to start machining some of the less involved crankcase parts. The first of these are components of the gear reducer assembly. This assembly is located inside the gear case at the front of the engine, and its purpose is to transfer power from the crankshaft to the prop-shaft. It includes a number of interesting components, and after several months of drilling and tapping holes it was nice to start adding scratch-made parts to the engine.
I felt it was also a good time to get the crankcase on an assembly stand so it will be easier to work on. Before doing that, though, I had some crankcase (hole drilling) operations that needed to be finished up. The most difficult of these were ten pairs of oil drain-back holes that I'd been putting off completing because of their importance and my uncertainty about how to drill them. They need to pass through the corners of the counterbores that were earlier machined atop the threaded holes for the cylinder block studs. They also need to be drilled at compound angles with respect to the cylinder block decks in order to avoid the structural ribs below them. I fixture'd the crankcase on a 5 degree sine plate under the spindle of my mill whose head was rotated 33 degrees, and luckily the holes came out where they needed to be.
The final crankcase drilling involved the mounting and feed-thru holes for an oil valve relief housing that will later be constructed and mounted on the exterior right side of the crankcase. The engine will eventually receive its lubrication from rigid oil lines coming from this housing. A mounting surface for it, not shown on any of the drawings, had been cast into my particular crankcase, but the cast bosses don't match the mounting holes shown on either the crankcase or valve drawings. I drilled the holes according to the bosses on the crankcase, and so the relief valve will be redesigned later on.
For the assembly stand I reused a portion of the one that I built for my 18 cylinder radial, but I had to make a new adapter plate to match the Merlin's mounting points. I tried to make a compatible adapter that would give open access to either end of the engine, but its asymmetrical mounts made this impractical. I'll have to make a second adapter plate later when I start working on the wheel case components at the rear of the engine.
The first component in the gear reduction assembly is a short driveshaft centered in a locating recess on the front of the crankshaft and bolted to it with nine SHCS. The driveshaft was turned from 12L14, and the locating boss on its rear was the final turning operation on that part. I managed to screw it up, and its o.d. ended up two thousandths undersize. I was ready to toss it into my scrap box when I remembered reading somewhere about fixing mistakes like this by displacing metal with a punch. Using a spring-loaded center punch, I made some prick marks in a circular pattern near the edge of the boss. The included photo shows a couple circular patterns that I tested, but only the pattern near the outer diameter of the boss had any effect. The displaced metal from these punch marks reduced the centering error from .002" to .0005" and saved the part.
The driveshaft is keyed to a 21 tooth drive gear. This gear will eventually drive a 49 tooth prop gear to produce a 2.33 rpm reduction which is very close to the ratio used in the full-scale engine. When the original engine was running at a maximum 3600 rpm, its huge three or four blade adjustable-pitch propeller was turning at only 1575 rpm.
The drive gear was made from a piece of 1144 that I purchased to use for the cylinder liners. I normally cut gears on my Tormach using its fourth axis, but I had another job set up on that machine that I couldn't disturb. I had to re-acquaint myself with using a manual indexer on my Bridgeport clone. In the process I managed to make a another piece of scrap, but this one I couldn't save. With the drive gear and driveshaft mounted to the crankshaft the runout measured on the teeth at the end if the drive gear was only .0015". I added witness marks to the flanges on the crankshaft and driveshaft so they can be reassembled in their same relative positions.
I've included an ancient but interesting historical video on the Merlin's development and manufacturing. -Terry
[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-fo7SmNuUU4"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-fo7SmNuUU4[/ame]

277.jpg

278.jpg

279.jpg

280.jpg

281.jpg

282.jpg

283.jpg

284.jpg

285.jpg

286.jpg

287.jpg

288.jpg

289.jpg

290.jpg

291.jpg

Continuing with the components of the gear reduction assembly, I next machined the retainer for the drive gear. A boss on the rear of this retainer locates it in the center of the bore of the drive gear, and after a light press fit it's secured with a SHCS. The nose of this retainer rides in the inner race of a ball bearing. The outer race of this bearing will be supported in a driveshaft cover which, in turn, is bolted to the gear case cover. The combination of these parts nicely supports the front end of the driveshaft under its load.
The prop gear has been one of the parts that I've been looking forward to making. With a 3/4 inch width and a 3-1/8 inch diameter, this is the largest gear I've ever made. Because of its large diameter, it's especially important that its mounting face be machined perfectly normal to its bore. The final center cross section will be fairly thin, and so I prepared the blank by boring its center hole and turning the critical mounting face in the same lathe set-up leaving the back face un machined. The blank was inserted on a tapered mandrel, and the OD was finished on the mill in the same four axis setup used to cut the teeth. After the teeth were cut, the gear was pressed onto a short dummy prop shaft and assembled with the prop shaft bearings in the gear case so clearances could be checked. A temporary collar was also machined to simulate the driveshaft cover so the fit with the gear case cover could be verified with both gears and all bearings installed. Since I didn't have the gears available for measurement when I bored the gear case and its cover several months ago, I used the theoretical diametral pitch for the gear separation. I was a bit anxious, but the initial test showed no binding nor noticeable backlash; and the crankshaft still turned freely while driving the gear set. After testing, the rest of the gear machining was completed, including its non-critical rear face. The mounting face was engraved for identification during assembly.
The two piece driveshaft cover appears to be an overly elaborate design when it's viewed as only a cover. While machining it, though, I realized that it's designed to absorb some machining error in the front cover. I was a bit surprised because nearly everything else in this engine, so far, has required spot-on machining. It's a clever design that allows the the driveshaft bearing to find its own running position before its cover is secured into position on the front cover. I didn't appreciate the purpose of the small inspection cover on its front end, though, until during trial assembly it became invaluable for removing the driveshaft bearing. The final fitting will be verified when actual prop shaft is completed.
Two of the three bearings in the gear case are open. I don't like using unshielded bearings in my engines because debris created during engine break-in can find its way into the bearings and damage them. My own experience with this occurred during my Howell V-4 build. I had a lot of trouble with ring sealing on that engine because the extremely thin wall cast iron cylinder liners used in that design were not holding their circularity over time. I still have a small box of reject liners whose dimensions changed days after being perfectly machined. In the process of 'motoring-in' the engine to troubleshoot the problem, and despite the use of a magnetic drain plug, I destroyed the crankshaft bearings in the process. Open bearings show up all through the quarter scale Merlin design, and they were probably used to maintain the scaling since smaller shielded bearings are usually slightly wider than their open equivalents. I couldn't find shielded replacements that would fit inside the gear case, and so I reluctantly used the specified open bearings. In addition to the magnets that I plan to add to the bottom of the oil pan, the notes accompanying the castings also recommend an oil filter.
The last component of this assembly, and one that I haven't been looking forward to, is the prop shaft. A drawing was supplied for a scaled splined shaft that looks good and shouldn't be difficult to make. But, I'm going to want to add a propeller to the engine, and that means I'll also have to make an internally splined adapter for it. I can easily cut the prop shaft splines with a Woodruff cutter and worry about the prop later, but I think it's probably best to deal with them both up front. I've no experience with cutting splines, and so I'm curious about how this will all come out. - Terry

292.jpg

293.jpg

294.jpg

295.jpg

296.jpg

297.jpg

298.jpg

299.jpg

300.jpg

301.jpg

302.jpg

303.jpg

304.jpg

The prop gear has been one of the parts that I've been looking forward to making. With a 3/4 inch width and a 3-1/8 inch diameter..

Wow, nice. What material did you select & will it need to be hardened?

..trouble with ring sealing on that engine because the extremely thin wall cast iron cylinder liners used in that design were not holding their circularity over time. Terry

Similar thought crossed my mind on my project, liner seemed thin relative to similar bore RC engines. Do recall your numbers by chance?

Wow, nice. What material did you select & will it need to be hardened?

Similar thought crossed my mind on my project, liner seemed thin relative to similar bore RC engines. Do recall your numbers by chance?
Peter,
The large gear is 4130, or at least that's how it was marked. There wasn't any thought process in its selection. It was the only piece of material that I had that was large enough to make the gear. It happened to be a piece of machine shop scrap that was almost the exact size I needed.
The wall thickness of the liners was .063". I had several lots of cast iron to choose from, but one didn't seem any better than another. I believe there is some art and science to working with liners that thin; and it involves the material, the machining sequence, and maybe even some stess relieving and aging. The Merlin's liners are only .030" thick, and so I'm not even going to attempt to make them to the drawings. Not sure yet exactly what I'll do, but mine are going to be a lot thicker. I translated Zapjack's posts on the French website where he posted his build, and noticed he had a lot of trouble with his liners as well. - Terry

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back