Quarter Scale Merlin V-12

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry,

I wish you well on your recovery, I know myself and a few more will be going through with drawl as we anxiously wait for your next update..

Hello Terry, I hope your recovery is as good as your achievement in engineering. King regards, Norm

Terry,
I wish you well on your recovery, you will be up dancing again in no time.

Cheers
Andrew

I wish you a speedy and full recovery! And as always I'm loving your updates.

Good recovery
i am sure you will come through it just fine :thumbup:

A what a beauty your engine is, nice work :)

I just love your eye for and determination to get the aesthetics right - the results are simply gorgeous.

Get well soon.

Regards,
Ken

Same here, I can't find any post indicating a cause for recovery. Whatever is the problem wish you feeling well soon. Miss you at the last BBQ. We pulled the trailer to Buffalo, there is a model engine show in Sept and I show off my stuff will be back early Oct.

Terry is off having hip replacement surgery from memory. Like everyone else, hoping you have a quick and easy recovery. I must say I'm in no hurry for this build to be over though - I really enjoy the frequent updates which will soon cease once the build is complete.

Terry is off having hip replacement surgery from memory. Like everyone else, hoping you have a quick and easy recovery. I must say I'm in no hurry for this build to be over though - I really enjoy the frequent updates which will soon cease once the build is complete.

Thank you Al, that is something we in this country go through a lot. I wonder if it has something to do with how hard we work? Terry speedy recovery.
Nelson

My hip surgery went pretty much as the doctors expected. A physical therapist had me up and walking only four hours after the operation, and I was home from the hospital the following day. The surgeon used a relatively new 'superpath' procedure that minimizes the need to cut tendons or muscle tissue around the joint. For anyone interested, a step-by-step (and blood-free) animation is available online that shows all the cool specialty tools that were used:
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIjiqI9D5cA[/ame]

Post-op pain was a big issue for me though. Two of the three pain meds sent home with me controlled it, but they kept me constipated, nauseous, and continually loopy. I was so miserable that I decided I'd rather deal with the pain. I switched over to the third med that did little for the pain but did reduce the loopiness.

I tried to get back into my shop about a week after the surgery, but I had a lot of trouble concentrating, so I took another week off. I restarted the build another week later with a pair of trivial carrying handles for the running stand. I finished them, but with great difficulty, and so I decided it would be best to wait another week before attempting anything more substantial. I'm including photos of the tiny bit of progress I did make even though it's hardly worth mentioning.

The project's weight has been slowly growing, and the total including the engine and running stand is now at 53 pounds. I knew the whole assembly would wind up heavy and awkward to move around, and so I planned a pair of carrying handles for the front and rear ends of the stand. Since they shouldn't have been at all difficult to make, I used them as a warm-up to get back into the project. I machined them from a couple pieces of 7075 bar stock which is an alloy that I much prefer working with compared to 6061. Its extra hardness leaves a beautiful surface finish right off the mill, and the chips don't tend to stick to the cutters in deep milled cavities like they do in the more gummy aluminum alloys. I carefully planned the cutting and filleting paths so the parts wouldn't require any secondary work before being painted and installed.

I machined the topside of the first workpiece and then flipped it over in order to machine its bottom. I guess my mental state still wasn't at 100% because when I flipped the part over I mis-referenced the workpiece by exactly .125" along the mill's positive x-axis. I didn't realize I had a problem until after the part was completely machined nor did I understand how I had gotten it wrong. When I machined the second part, I managed to make the same mistake but this time in the negative x-axis direction. At this point I decided I'd take some more time off before doing any more machining. Over the next few days I was able to recover the two mis-machined parts with a lot of filing.

I find that when I work on one of these long term projects, certain parts can become forever associated with the cards being dealt out by life at the time. I'll likely never have any fondness for those two black handles. - Terry

1377.JPG

1378.JPG

1379.JPG

1380.JPG

1381.JPG

1382.JPG

1383.JPG

1384.JPG

Terry,
It's good to hear that you are getting over the op. You will be back to your old self in no time. The carry handles look great.

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Terry:

The handles look good.
Is there a reason you use the sticks and glue rather than tabs in your Gcode. I'm always looking for new techniques and the sticks look quick and easy.
Thanks

Dave

Terry, I have been thinking about you a lot the last while, Very pleased you are well and on the mend.
Regards
Deryck.

Terry: I know what you mean about trying to concentrate through pain. I will not take anything stronger than Tylenol for the nerve pain in my legs and back. It doesn't help much but I can't stand the feeling of being doped up on narcotics, not to mention the other nasty side effects. Anymore, I barely am able to get in any shop time. Pain will ruin the enthusiasm needed to press on with even the simple tasks. At least you are in recovery. I have no hope of that. Take care and take your time getting back. I have nothing to say about your project. It deserves more than words to describe it. Ron

Terry
So glad everything went well, even the loopy. The anesthesia is the worst part of surgery. May you be back to a good norm as soon as possible. Now you can look forward to live with a little less pain.
Be well my friend
Nelson

Back