QCTP modification?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffF

Reaction score
I have a QCTP for my Micro Mark lathe that works great for regular turning, but I have a problem when I want to use a boring bar and come in from straight in front of the stock. There is a notch in the carriage under the toolpost (and a tab on the bottom of the toolpost) that only allows you to mount the toolpost for conventional turning, not for turning around to use a boring bar. To this point, I have been putting the stock toolpost back on when I want to bore, because unlike the QCTP it has 4 toolholding positions and can accept the boring bar straight on to the end of the stock.

My question is, is there any reason I couldn't mill another small slot in the carriage so I could turn the QCTP around whenever I need too?

Anyone else have this setup?

Jeff

I have a Micro Mark 7x14. I use the origional tool post, a home made "Norman/Mert Baker" tool post and just bought a OXA QCTP for it. I removed the stop and spring from under the origional tool post the first week I had the lathe.
I don't understand the part about not being able to adjust your tool post to any angle you want. What brand/model QCTP do you have?

Chuck

I have a Micro Mark 7x14. I use the origional tool post, a home made "Norman/Mert Baker" tool post and just bought a OXA QCTP for it. I removed the stop and spring from under the origional tool post the first week I had the lathe.
I don't understand the part about not being able to adjust your tool post to any angle you want. What brand/model QCTP do you have?

Chuck

I got it from Micro mark, not sure of the brand. It's kind of hard to describe, but on the bottom of the toolpost is a small tab that sticks out. It aligns with an indentation in the carriage below that obviously was intended to act as an index to make the toolpost mount square to the carriage. I would have thought they would have made 4 indentations, so you could move the toolpost to any of the 4 positions, but they didn't.

Jeff

I would mill off the tab and make it infinitly adjustable.

Chuck
>
Good point. It's not like the tab is really needed to hold the toolholder in a specific position, if the toolpost is tightened down properly, that shouldn't be a problem.

I've only had my OXA on my lathe for a few days, but haven't seen a problem. As I said earlier, I took the stock pawl and spring out from under the stock tool post years ago and no prblem with that one either.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back