QCTP for Myford lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Baron. First of all the main block and the tool holders are made on steel: I dissuade you to use aluminum! It is too soft.

Because the locking system is based on dovetail slightly deformation, the main purpose of the recess is to limit the contact surfaces just close to the dovetail 60deg angle. Last question: originally I though to put a small hard metal plaque in here. This is the reason of the 3mm threaded holes.
Hope my poor English is clear enough...
Cheers, Mose.

Hi Nicchiom,

You are right about not using aluminium,not even the hard grade.Some hobby
machinist would shy away using steel. Given the good sharp cutting tools,bar stock steel is really not difficult to machine. The Dovetail cutting is a mystery
we have to go thru. After two female dovetails and two broken dovetail cutters,I have sort of picked up the know-how.
QCTP made of aluminium will not last. The dovetail fit wears off.

Todate I have made two QCTP.

Merry Christmas Gus from cold Italy! Any picture of you art work? Mose'

Thanks,
Do you know if RDG is a chinese brand/company or English?

Hi Nicolas,

I didn't see a reply to your question.

RDG is a UK company based in Todmordon near Halifax West Yorkshire. A lot of the stuff they supply comes from China and India. They quite recently acquired the "Myford" brand name and the rights to their designs. They are now selling Myford branded copies that are no longer UK made.

"...They quite recently acquired the "Myford" brand name and the rights to their designs. They are now selling Myford branded copies that are no longer UK made...."

Wow!! it's sound like a bad new for me... Who take care about my Super 7 spare part quality control now?!
BaronJ: what about Myford company? Is it in bad shape?
Regards, Mose'

Merry Christmas Gus from cold Italy! Any picture of you art work? Mose'

Hi Necchiom,

Here is the second QCTP made from Model Engineer's Workshop Magazine.
It is about 2 year old now but no wear and tear as it was made of steel from scrap bin. Dimensions not as per drawing. Not a masterpiece but very useful.

Was visiting Ingersoll-Rand Compressor plant at Avellino and stayed at Basergno?.I think spelling wrong. Enjoyed the family restaurant food served with no menu to pick from. Left Avellino 3---4 kg heavier. Had to hang up my pants and climb in after all the good food-----fresh tomato sauce spagetti,a huge plate of tomato salad with olive oil and vinegar and steak and the cakes and ice-cream.Dinner was 8pm----11pm.
Was at the Vatican City to pray for the world.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!th_wav

IMG_1143.jpg

"...They quite recently acquired the "Myford" brand name and the rights to their designs. They are now selling Myford branded copies that are no longer UK made...."

Wow!! it's sound like a bad new for me... Who take care about my Super 7 spare part quality control now?!
BaronJ: what about Myford company? Is it in bad shape?
Regards, Mose'

Hi Nicolas,
The original "Myford" company no longer exists, though RDG is trading under the "Myford" name and has the remaining genuine stock. They also say that they will supply spares and parts. How good the quality of these are remains to be seen particularly in light of the current quality of foreign imports.

Hi Nicolas,
The original "Myford" company no longer exists, though RDG is trading under the "Myford" name and has the remaining genuine stock. They also say that they will supply spares and parts. How good the quality of these are remains to be seen particularly in light of the current quality of foreign imports.

Hi Baron,

Some parts most likely M.I.C. and some M.I.I. Genuine parts made in UK or EU will be priced out of the door.Very sad Myford Lathe Plant gone just like the Lister Engine Plant.

Received some M.I.C. Spotting Drills and very disappointed. They are just Tin-coated Stub Drills.The UK equivalent was with sharp points. These MIC drills came with mini chisel point and web thick/unthinned. Will use them after the mini spotting with EU spot drills.

Bought a set of Indian Make high quality 0.1mm incremental 6---12mm HSS drills and not cheap.

Hi Baron,

Some parts most likely M.I.C. and some M.I.I. Genuine parts made in UK or EU will be priced out of the door.Very sad Myford Lathe Plant gone just like the Lister Engine Plant.

Received some M.I.C. Spotting Drills and very disappointed. They are just Tin-coated Stub Drills.The UK equivalent was with sharp points. These MIC drills came with mini chisel point and web thick/unthinned. Will use them after the mini spotting with EU spot drills.

Bought a set of Indian Make high quality 0.1mm incremental 6---12mm HSS drills and not cheap.

Hi Gus,
Yes its sad to say but all the good machine engineering expertise and manufacturing industry has all but gone in the UK. I bought a set of German made drills, expensive but at least the quality was far better than the far eastern rubbish that gets palmed off on the unsuspecting nowadays.

Sadly a relative gave me a set of taps and dies for Christmas. I say sadly because I've just binned the self same set that a neighbor gave me that seem to have been made from sugar coated toffee. About the only good thing is I can reuse the plastic case they came in.

Hope you had a good Christmas. Looking forward to the new year. Lets hope its better than the last one.

Hi Gus,
Yes its sad to say but all the good machine engineering expertise and manufacturing industry has all but gone in the UK. I bought a set of German made drills, expensive but at least the quality was far better than the far eastern rubbish that gets palmed off on the unsuspecting nowadays.

Sadly a relative gave me a set of taps and dies for Christmas. I say sadly because I've just binned the self same set that a neighbor gave me that seem to have been made from sugar coated toffee. About the only good thing is I can reuse the plastic case they came in.

Hope you had a good Christmas. Looking forward to the new year. Lets hope its better than the last one.

Hi Baron,
All my children emigrated to Australia. Nellie and Gus(me) had a quiet Christmas and went to midnite mass to pray for the world.

Fishing was bad today but we had the excitement of about to land a biggy and the 30 lb line broke. Could have become my dinner. No worry.Tomorrow taking some friends out and hopefully fishing will be good.

As a Christmas Present I bought air tickets and hotel room for Nellie and both will spent Chinese New Year which end January 2014 in Tokyo.

Take Care.Young man.
From another young man 70 young.Ha ha Ha.

Hi Gus, regards to Nellie,

I'm envious. (*) Have a great time over there. Happy new year both.

PS. The fish will be happy not to have been dinner !!!.

Hi Mose, n all,

Just an update. I've now been out and bought a great chunk of BMS. 3 inches wide 12 inches long and 1.5 inches thick. I've got enough to make the main tool block and three holders. The next step is to go and see a friend of mine who has a bandsaw.

I've had a good study of your fine drawings and can see that all the holes lie on a circle. Was that intentional or did it just turn out that way ? It makes marking out for drilling easy. I'll be back with further updates and some photos later.

Hi Guys,
Having acquired a suitable chunk of BMS to make the main block from, I got around to making a start on it.

I made a mistake when squaring up the block and cut too much off one edge, so the two 10mm holes would have broken into each other. So I have not drilled the three holes marked.

The boring head is an old "Goliath No:6 found in the scrap yard. The MT2 spindle was bent, so I turned it down to 0.5" to fit in a drill chuck. Yes that is a 1/2" slot drill being used as a cutter.

Marking_out-1.jpg

Pilot_hole_5mm.jpg

Drilled&Bored.jpg

Drawing-1.jpg

Boring_Head-1.jpg

Hi Gus, regards to Nellie,

I'm envious. (*) Have a great time over there. Happy new year both.

PS. The fish will be happy not to have been dinner !!!.

Had good 5 days to shop and eat in Otsuka/aka Oska(very small satellite town on the JR circle line near Tokyo).
Two disasters happened.
1. Gus is nearly broke after all the eating and hardware/tools buys.
2. Put on a bit of weight. But honestly did I put on too much on the waistline.

Japanese steak is very good but stamp size.

IMG_0161.jpg

Had good 5 days to shop and eat in Otsuka/aka Oska(very small satellite town on the JR circle line near Tokyo).
Two disasters happened.
1. Gus is nearly broke after all the eating and hardware/tools buys.
2. Put on a bit of weight. But honestly did I put on too much on the waistline.

Japanese steak is very good but stamp size.

Hi Gus,
So I see ! I don't have any idea how much it costs to eat out in Japan, but I would want a much bigger chunk of steak than I see in that picture.

Hi Guys,
I did some more on my QCTP today. After getting the holes drilled and the recess bored yesterday, I decided it was time to cut the dovetails. Pictures below. The cutter is a 3/4" 45 degree one manufactured by Dormer as is the 16 mm milling cutter. I should have got a 1" dovetail cutter as this one only just gets to full depth. All I need to do on this face is to take a very light skim to finish the surface off. I have thought about using a four inch diameter cone grinding wheel but I am not sure about it. ;D;D

More later.

1st_Dovetail_Cut-1.jpg

2nd_Dovetail_Cut-1.jpg

Cutting_slot-1.jpg

Cutting_slot-2.jpg

Cutting_slot-3.jpg

Finished_Dovetails-1.jpg

Finished_Dovetails-2.jpg

Finished_Dovetails-3.jpg

Finished_Dovetails-4.JPG

Hi Baron. I apologize but far from home, because a business trip, so i missed your question. You did a very good job: with compliment! From my side, I found a Siemens Micromaster 440 0.75Kw vector inverter so (hope!) very soon my Super 7 will receive a useful gift. This afternoon I will try to connect a 0.55Kw three phase motor and play with hundreds of parameters.

Just a question Baron. In this picture "qctp-myford-lathe-cutting_slot-1.jpg" something like grease or something similar appears stitched on the mill. What about? Thanks

Hi Baron. I apologize but far from home, because a business trip, so i missed your question. You did a very good job: with compliment! From my side, I found a Siemens Micromaster 440 0.75Kw vector inverter so (hope!) very soon my Super 7 will receive a useful gift. This afternoon I will try to connect a 0.55Kw three phase motor and play with hundreds of parameters.

Hi Moshe,
I think you will find the ability to vary the motor speed very useful. I'm still using the original 3/4 Hp single phase motor on my S7. I do have a three phase 1Hp motor that will fit but don't have a VSD inverter.

Let me know how you get on.

Just a question Baron. In this picture "qctp-myford-lathe-cutting_slot-1.jpg" something like grease or something similar appears stitched on the mill. What about? Thanks

Hi Moshe,
Its "Trefolex" a cutting compound. I don't have any coolant or cutting oil set up yet, so I use this as an aid to smooth cutting. Its surprising how much difference it makes particularly on a light weight mill like mine. I also use it on the lathe.

I hope you will forgive my error when marking out the main tool block for the QCTP.
As my wife keeps pointing out, me and numbers don't go well together. I marked the block with pops where the holes should be, then when I came to drill the 10mm holes, realised that being 3mm short on one side put three of the holes in the wrong place. So being lazy I opted not to drill the three I marked on the photo.

Last edited:
Hi dear Baron, no probs for the the different design. I am very curious about Trefolex because never heard before. What about the usage?

Back