Pumps in inkjet printers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been searching the web and I can't find a system that will fit my printer a HP Photosmart 7150, Figures!

Loose Nut,

I think you will not be able to get one for a HP printer.

The reason HP cartridges are so expensive is that they contain a new print head in each cartridge. Epson and a few other printers retain the print heads in the machine, and you only change the ink reservoir. Those are the type that can have bulk bottle feeding systems fitted.
There is a large industry in the UK, cleaning and refilling HP and other cartridges. In fact I used to have a good little sideline (£300+ per month), collecting up all the old ones from industry and selling them to the filling companies, I kept it up for a couple of years, but it soon collapsed when charities started to ask businesses for them, to raise money for their favourite animal rescue schemes.

Bogs

nemt said:
The model is from Rudolf Diesels first dieselengine.
Nemt;
How can I find info/drgs on this engine?
Ray M

Ray,

There is a VERY small amount of info on it in this PDF from the M.A.N. museum. Mr. diesel was another one of those troubled genius characters and met with a sad end aboard a ship powered by his own greatest invention....

Sorry there is so little info in this pdf but at least there is a picture.

David

Bogstandard said:
Loose Nut,

I think you will not be able to get one for a HP printer.
Bogs

I think your right, there are systems for a very few HP printers but not many and not mine. Might be worth spending some money on a new printer and ink system.

Worse yet, many HP printers and cartridges have a sensor in them that detects refills and refuses to print more after the 'lifetime' is up, no matter how much ink may be in them. Coming along soon is encrypted links between the cartridge and printer so off-brand replacements won't work either..

FWIW, the HP packaging (flashy box, plastic wrap) is more expensive than the cartridge and ink cost to make. Massive profit margin on ink.

bentprop said:
Kludge,the wipers serve both functions I think.On my lathe they are on the chuck side of the cross slide.If you need it,I'll take a piccy tomorrow.

I would greatly appreciate it, Hans. I'll probably have to downsize a bit due to the size of my machines but it sounds like a great idea.

Best regards,

Kludge

From Loosenut: How about open heart surgery on mice.

i've seen such pumps used for I.V. pumps on mice and rats. Blood pressure cuff goes around tail, small funnel for gas mask.

Kludge, I'm a bit envious of your Clisby. I wascthinking of purchasing on when I found they were being discontinued. It's my eight week on the road for work staying in motels and the machining withdrawls are bad. I may have to suitcase my Unimat for some "motel machining".

For small lathe use I have gotten away with using denatured alcohol for some items and a 5/8" clear tubing adapter for a shop vac taped to the crosslide has caught a it's fair share of swarf.

Shadow said:
i've seen such pumps used for I.V. pumps on mice and rats. Blood pressure cuff goes around tail, small funnel for gas mask.

Will I regret asking how you managed to see that? :)

Kludge, I'm a bit envious of your Clisby. I wascthinking of purchasing on when I found they were being discontinued.

Do so. Do so quickly while you can and get as many spares as you can. They don't get any smaller and you can power them from a 12 volt, 5 amp power pack, a gell cell or heavy duty nicad pack (with the attendant chargers, of course) or your vehicle battery if that works for you.

It's my eight week on the road for work staying in motels and the machining withdrawls are bad. I may have to suitcase my Unimat for some "motel machining".
You machine motels? :big:

If you can get one of the original wooden boxes for the Unimat (I'm assuming it's an SL-1000), that would be a wonderful way to transport it. You may even be able to use the box itself to help support it. Of course, doing this by a window with the drapes open will cause people to be curious but that's always cool.

For small lathe use I have gotten away with using denatured alcohol for some items and a 5/8" clear tubing adapter for a shop vac taped to the crosslide has caught a it's fair share of swarf.

That sounds like an idea. It would be great for everything down to the Clisby but for that one, it would be overkill. Somehow a full sized shop vac being used to clear swarf from a lathe that could almost get sucked into the main hose itself seems a bit much. I wonder if a mini one could be made for the Clisby. :)

Thanks for the ideas, and do get a Clisby before they're gone.

Best regards,

Kludge

David,
I guess I was referring to the model engine Nemt's friend built.
Ray M

Kludge,

No, you won't regret asking. I service and repair equipment, literally microscopic, that is also used in research laboratories where such activities occur. Check your pm inbox for details.

My Unimat SL is on long term loan, and my Unimat 3 came in only a foam package.
A suitable wooden box would be easily constructed. Were I spendy I would purchase a hardcase toolbox like my pelican clean room work toolbox.

Still contemplating the Clisby, a man can't have too many lathes.

Kludge,here are the pics I just took.Unfortunately,I was completely wrong! :eek:.
The wipers aren't felt at all,they are completely made of rubber.I took one off just to show you the underside,which is how I found out.Therefore, they obviously don't lubricate anything,they are just there to keep the swarf from getting on the slideways.That doesn't stop it from falling into the "valley",i suppose you could call it,but that area is not too important.But if your lathe doesn't have any such thing,I'm sure the felt would make a great wiper.What i thought was felt,was simply an accumulation of crud :-[.But there definitely are lathes out there that have felt wipers,as I was told on "the other forum",so it must be true :big:.
Anyway,fwiw,here are the pics;
wipers.jpg

rubberwiper.jpg

felt.jpg

Regards.Hans.

Shadow said:
Check your pm inbox for details.
Got it. Reply coming forthwith. Or fifthwith, given inflation. :big:

My Unimat SL is on long term loan, and my Unimat 3 came in only a foam package.
A suitable wooden box would be easily constructed.

If you can find a winery or distillery that still delivers bottles in the old style wooden crates or a source of the older crates, that's a good start. Some of them are sized to handle a Unimat 3 and the older ones are seriously sturdy. I have one that's around 30-40 years old that is holding the accessories for my SL-1000 but may one day be where I keep it. (Another reason to head to storage. *sigh*)

Still contemplating the Clisby, a man can't have too many lathes.

*looking around* ... six plus the orphan 5.5mm that needs parts to make work, a Swiss turns and parts for a couple more ... still planning to get a Sieg C0 and another orphan - a 4.5mm this time ... nope, can never have too many lathes. ;D

Best regards,

Kludge

bentprop said:
Kludge,here are the pics I just took.Unfortunately,I was completely wrong! :eek:.

It's cool. It happens to everyone. I mean, even I have made a mistake now and then. :eek: ;)

The wipers aren't felt at all,they are completely made of rubber.

That would work on the cross slide as well. So would the felt, for that matter. I'm keeping the pics for study later for my own machines, if you've no objection.

The Taig doesn't have that valley; the bed is one solid piece across so swarf (and wood chips) accumulate there instead of disappearing like they can on other machines. When I get the replacement machine (The current one got eaten by salt air when I had to take an unexpected "extended vacation" at the hospital) it will definitely get that.

Thank you for the pics. They will definitely help.

BEst regards,

Kludge

Hi,

I just discovered this thread and would like to know if anyone would care to guess at the displacement of the inkjet pumps mentioned here. The reason for asking is that I have been looking at micro-drop coolant systems and this sounds like the ideal pump for such an application.

It looks like I will have to keep an eye open for some non HP inkjet printers...

Thanks,
Robert

Latest posts

Back