Protecting unused equipment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimM

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm looking at ways of keeping the dreaded rust at bay on the bits and pieces of equipment that I don't use too often - things like spare chucks, the large rotary table etc. They're stored on the bench under the lathe but as the workshop is a non insulated garage it's pretty cold and draughty and condensation is an issue.

I've got some old bed sheets which I was going to use to cover them, but before I do I just wanted to check that this is a good idea. I can't work out if this will protect them or if the sheets themselves will become damp and actually make the problem worse.

If the sheets get the thumbs up would it be worthwhile to rub oil through the them (ie just a light coating not so they're dripping )

Cheers

Jim

Jim,

I have a bit of the same problem in my shop, as it's in the back of my detached garage. The shop is partitioned off from the garage area and heated in the winter months, but spring and fall cause problems with rust.

The temperature swing in the spring and fall causes condensation problems, even just opening the shop door for a few minutes at the wrong time has the condensation forming on the machines. I keep the thermostat set at about 58F year round, and bringing it up a few degrees as the seasons change helps a great deal, but I still keep the tooling stored away.

There have been times when the heat has been off in the shop, and the tools stored in toolboxes and cabinets showed no signs of rust, but raw stock stored out in the open developed a nice coating of rust. Just keeping things under cover to keep condensation from settling on it helps.

I keep the machines well oiled when not being used, and the mill tables get oil wiped on them as well. Any accessories such as dividing heads, vises, angle plates, or the like, gets an oily rag draped over it if it will be left out in the open.

To answer your question, I think sheets will help. I would wipe the tooling down with a little oil, and cover them with the sheet, but keep the sheet from lying directly on the tools. Use wooden blocks or something to keep airspace between. I wouldn't use plastic or other materials that cannot "breathe" to cover tools, as it will trap moisture under it. Any small items, I would try to find cabinet space for.

Also, although many think that WD-40 is the greatest, I would never consider using it for protecting your tooling from rust.

Kevin

Jim.

I too have a severe problem like you.

Since your objective is long term storage try this product- LUBRIPLATE 1200-2 Part Number L0102-001 ( I think they have a website of the same name )

Apply the grease with a soft cotton rag or brush and slap it on everywhere, to get off use diesel or wd40.

This stuff is like the cockroach it will be alive after the nuclear bomb has gone off!.

Another use I have found for it is my lathe undercarriage ground slide rails are covered with it and when I know I will be away from the shop for a while I cover the whole exposed areas of my machines with it.

It’s a little messy to get off but worth it to protect your expensive tooling.

All the best. Anthony.

My advice would be do not use WD-40 as a protectant and do NOT cover bare metal with sheets. Here is why . . . WD-40 was created as a Water Displacement product (WD - get it?) and it has virtually no lubrication or preservative qualities. Sheets, and any absorbent oragnic material, will absorb moisture from the air during periods of elevated humidity and be slow to give it up in periods of low humidity. In the meantime any bare metal in direct contact with the cloth will rust, or if not will be far more prone to rust from the retained moisture than if it is uncovered. I live in an area of high summer humidity and these protections are required so even if your local humidity levels are lower you will have the same problem, just to a lesser degree.

My suggestion would be to first use a purposely made metal protectant such as Starret M-1, CRC-336 or LPS-1, 2, or 3. I think #3 is the heaviest of all and is meant for the most protection in adverse conditions, like outdoor storage. There are other brands of protectants on the market but I know M-1, CRC, and LPS to be absolutely reliable. My #1 favorite for all in-shop exposed metal for any reason is CRC-336 and I keep a couple of cans in the shop at all times. If you need to cover the equipment, use a non-organic ventilating cover such as those woven blue tarps you buy at places like Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, etc. What these do is allow the air around the stored equip to circulate air and will not trap humidity or absorb moisture. Poly of course won't absorb moisture but it will trap humidity and will allow condensate to form. The #1 thing you can do to prevent rust and mildew in a workshop no matter where it's located is to keep the air moving. Just a simple small fan to move air around will do wonders.

What you cannot protect against is mother nature. A few years ago we had a very extreme spring temperature inversion. A blistering cold spell (Feb I think) was followed immediately (like overnight) with a few days of unseasonbaly warm and very humid weather. I have a weather protected shop room (with air circulation) but that worked against me in this case. During the night the warm humid air reached the almost freezing tools and condensation formed on every sq inch of exposed metal and produced a coating of rust on every expose surface. 10 years later I am still discovering little patches of rust here and there. Most things were saved by giving them a bath and a Scotchbrite scrub in kerosene.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Paint on surfaces that can be painted.
Stretch wrap http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=stretch+wrap&Submit=Go

Spray with some kink of oil, not much and not 100 percent coverage and wrap with stretch wrap. Spray with LPS-3 if longer storage in not so good conditions.

If you can find a wider roll it even works better and quicker. Pull out some stretch wrap. Lay object on it and a little spray of oil, not WD-40. Wrap up like a butcher wraps up meat.
shrinkwrap.jpg

Back