Propane vs. Gasoline

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnp101677

Reaction score
I'm considering building my first IC engine and was wondering what the difference would be (construction wise) between planning to power the engine with gas or propane. Overall, which method is better, etc?

Thank you,
Dan

dnp101677 said:
I'm considering building my first IC engine and was wondering what the difference would be (construction wise) between planning to power the engine with gas or propane. Overall, which method is better, etc?

Thank you,
Dan

I can't comment on the construction part of your question since I haven't built my first IC engine yet.

However, I have heard the advantage of propane is easier starting and odorless, which I think is better. A short run in the shop might go unnoticed. Its best to avoid conflict at all costs! ;D
Real important for the married guys! :big:

-MB

Lubrication becomes more critical if you are using propane. With gasoline engines, I usually just mix the oil in with the gas. With propane, you have to use separate oilers and make sure they work adequately.

I know that if you are making a hit n miss engine, you need a demand valve to stop the flow of propane between firings. However, I've read that you don't really need a demand valve if the engine fires all the time. Probably best for safety reasons to have a demand valve anyway, in case the engine stops running and nobody is around to shut off the propane.

As far as performance, I haven't really read anywhere that one is any better than the other. As Metal Butcher says, propane is cleaner than gasoline, but if you use coleman fuel instead, it's cleaner than gasoline also.

Chuck

cfellows said:
Lubrication becomes more critical if you are using propane. With gasoline engines, I usually just mix the oil in with the gas. With propane, you have to use separate oilers and make sure they work adequately.

I know that if you are making a hit n miss engine, you need a demand valve to stop the flow of propane between firings. However, I've read that you don't really need a demand valve if the engine fires all the time. Probably best for safety reasons to have a demand valve anyway, in case the engine stops running and nobody is around to shut off the propane.

As far as performance, I haven't really read anywhere that one is any better than the other. As Metal Butcher says, propane is cleaner than gasoline, but if you use coleman fuel instead, it's cleaner than gasoline also.

Chuck

Hi Chuck. Thanks for your input. Colman Lantern fuel it-is for my first IC build. Its gonna get very cold up here real soon, so firing on gas would be out in the cold garage. Would the use of a Cast Iron cylinder need additional lube in the fuel or a drip oiler at the cylinder?

Dan. below is a link that might be helpful. It Looks like a pressure regulator and an on demand delivery valve is whats needed.

http://www.floridaame.org/HowTo2.htm

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
Hi Chuck. Thanks for your input. Colman fuel it-is for my first IC build. Its gonna get very cold up here real soon. Would the use of a Cast Iron cylinder need additional lube in the fuel or a drip oiler at the cylinder?

Dan. below is a link that might be helpful. It Looks like an on demand delivery valve is whats needed.

http://www.floridaame.org/HowTo2.htm

-MB

MB, I would certainly use some kind of lube, even with a cast iron cylinder. However, I've never trusted drip oilers. It's too hard to gauge how much oil the cylinder is getting and whether or not the upper part of the piston is getting lubed. On my engines, I just mix a little WD40 with the fuel and it seems to work very well, even though I use rubber o-rings instead of cast iron piston rings. In my opinion, mixing the WD40 with the fuel also gives the top end of the engine better lubrication.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back