Printing a drawing from AutoCad format

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbritnell

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
OK, here's my question. I have made some drawings in AutoCad 2004. I can save them as .dwg or .dxf files. The problem is the local print shops don't have the facilities to read these files. Is there a way I can take these files, maybe put them into something like Corel and them save them as a pdf, jpg or something that could be printed out? My problem isn't with 8 1/2x11 naturally, it's with 11x17 or 18x24. Any guidance would be appreciated.
gbritnell

Hi George,

I am not sure about AutoCad, but my 2d cad program, Visual Cadd (roots back to Generic Cadd) will export dxf files as a PDF file. I cannot save the file as a PDF, but rather there is an export function. Could there be an export function in AutoCad?

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

Google "CutePDF".

It's a freeware pdf maker that appears as a choice in your PRINTER folder. You select it just like you would an epson or an HP printer. Then set up your paper size and page orientation just like usual and hit 'print'. If your CAD program can print to a printer then you can make a pdf file of whatever you are printing. Up to 36 by 44 inches I believe. It has a huge range of paper size options.

Kermit

I'll second the CutePDF suggestion. I've been using it for several years, it's a great little program.

gbritnell
Go to a print shop where the architect or the surveyors go to.
Print supply house , not Staples or Office Depot
HM.

gbritnell:

I have a ACADLT 2004 on my machine for work and I just tested this to be sure it works. This will work for a "B" size drawing(11"x17") I can't vouch for a "C" size drawing (18"x24") since our laser won't print that size. I don't know how familiar you are with Autocad so the following is the blow by blow procedure.

From Autocad:
1) Select the File menu.
2) Select the Plotter Manager menu.
3) Select the Add-A-Plotter Wizard.
4) When the Add Plotter dialog box pops up select Next.
5) Be sure the My Computer button is selected and click Next.
6) Select Adobe under Manufacturers and select a Model, I used Postscript Level 1, then click next.
7) When the Add Plotter - Import Pcp or Pc2 window appears, click next.
8) You should be on the Add Plotter - Ports screen. On this screen select the Plot to File button and click Next.
9) You are now on the Add Plotter - Plotter Name screen, name it anything you want but I just used the default. Now click next.
10) You should now be in the Add Plotter - Finish screen, click Finish and you're done with the plotter setup.

I then plotted the drawing. When you set up the plot, do the following:
1) Click on the Plot Device tab.
2) Under Plotter configuration - Name, select Postscript Level 1.pc3 from the drop down list.
3) Under Plot to file - File name and Path: fill in or browse to your desired file location.
4) Click on the Plot Settings tab.
5) Under Paper size and paper units - Paper size, select your desired paper size from the drop down list.
6) Complete the plot as you normally would.

You just plotted to a PDF file of your drawing which just about anybody should be able to print.

I then opened the file on a different machine using Adobe reader to verify that there weren't any problems. I found a couple, to correct them do the following on the Print setup screen:
1) Under Printer - Name, select the desired printer from the drop down list.
2) Under Printer select Properties.
3) Select the correct paper size from the drop down list under Paper options - Size is:, then click OK.
4) This will take you back to the print setup screen. Under the Page handling - Page scaling select None from the drop down list. If you don't change this Adobe will rescale to fit the page and margins which will just ruin you day if you are trying to print a 1:1 scale drawing.
5) Click OK to print your drawing.

I hope that this wasn't too confusing and that it helps,
Don

Hi Don,
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Maybe I should have been a little more explicit. My home plotter (inkjet) is only 8-1/2x11. I don't have facilities for doing anything larger. I was just hoping that there was a somewhat easy way to import the .dwg or .dxf file into another program, in my case Corel, and then save it from there as a format that the local printers could use. I have called several larger printers around and they can't read Cad drawings. There is one down town (Cleveland) that does blue prints etc. so I'll give them a call and see if they can handle Cad files. I just thought with all the work around programs floating on the internet that someone would have come up with something for this situation.
Thanks everyone
gbritnell

The CutePDF solution mentioned earlier should work for print shops that have larger plotters and have a PDF reader. Select the paper size you want in AutoCAD and use the CutePDF print driver to create the PDF file. Take the file to the shop and have your print on the paper of your desired size.

The blueprint shop that could handle native AutoCAD files is a good solution too.

PDF printer drivers are going to be the easiest. All of the versions of Autocad I've worked with in the past 4-5 years had the facility built in already. I use Primo PDF for applications that don't have a PDF facility. You install it, then you select it as the printer and instead of printing to paper, it prints to file.

ACAD2004 should handle PDF. The steps Don posted should create a "PDF" printer that prints to a file that you can take to any print shop and print with no problem. You already have PDF posted in the plans section, how did you make those? All you have to do is change the layout size to what you want and make sure the PDF printer also has the same paper size selected. PDF is the most common "paperless" document format in the world.

You can try the "Save as Jpeg" in ACAD, but you lose so much detail it's almost useless. There are way to increase pixel count, but I had limited success when I tried.

Any printshop that has a large format printer could download Autocad's free software for viewing and printing native Acad and DXF files. Either they don't want to deal with you or they can't actually handle large prints.

The drawing that I have posted in the files section was printed out, scanned as PDF and then downloaded to the files section. I will try the cutePDF.
Thanks again to all that responded,
gbritnell

George,

Hilmar's suggestion is a good one. Graphic print shops work with a large variety of graphic programs and Operating Systems. Usually they have a computer technician who can quickly provide guidance. Here is a general description of how it works.

First you install their printer on your computer. Ask your print company the name and model of their printer or plotter. Some companies use a generic HP print code. Your print company may also have the print driver file specific to their device. Anyway, install their print device as one of your printers.

Now in AutoCAD configure the new printer to your liking (print size, color or B&W, and pen assignments). View your print. And when satisfied " print to file". Now all you need to do is forward the file to the print company. They simply copy the file (machine code) to their printer. I say simply but there are some other details.

This is not plug and play nor is rocket science. The same procedure could be followed by a "quick copy" center if they have the experience.

I just loaded cutePDf. I followed their instructions. Works like a charm. Printed out pieces of my larger drawings in 8-1/2x11. Thanks.
gbritnell

Latest posts

Back