Powermatic 1150 drill press

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed T

Reaction score
I have finally gotten around to cleaning up a variable speed Powermatic drill press that I picked up at a school auction some time ago for $75. It's a metallic green one made, I'd guess, in the '70's. It weighs a ton! This is a clean up, not a rebuild. I'm not sure the unit was ever used since there is still green paint on the running surfaces of the pulleys so I don't expect any thing is really worn much if at all. In looking at the manual it suggests lubricating the splined quill shaft with Lubriplate "through the hole at the top of the spindle pulley". This instruction may apply to the 1150A which is a step pulley machine, but I cannot find any hole to squirt lube through. I can't imagine that this routine maintenance requires complete disassembly of the spindle or the VS drive system from the top of the spindle, but that could be the case. I hope not. So, the question is, does anyone out there know how to lube the splined shaft w/o taking the whole thing apart?
Thanks
Ed T

Well, I guess that was a real stumper. Thanks to all who took a second to look at the original post. I studied the machine a bit and determined that if I removed the VS adjustment bracket (2 bolts) and lifted off the upper part of the spindle pulley, I could get to the area where the splined shaft lives. So that's what I did and now it's all lubed; probably the first time since it was built. Not really a big deal at all, but not something that should require disassembly.

Latest posts

Back