polishing problems

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robwilk

Reaction score
I am at the polishing stage of my third build Elmers twin wobbler I am using a colour stitch mop for the first polish on aluminium . I am using the mop across the scratches but just as all the scratches disappear and the aluminium gets to how I want it the mop starts adding scratches in the direction it is working.
I am adding the compound which I presume is a wax before I start and again after a few minutes am I not putting enough on or to much ? :-\
The annoying thing is I have polished my first two engines with great results and no problems so what is different.
I thought I best get some advice before I lost my patience.
I know there are a few videos out there showing how it is done but unfortunately I have a very slow Internet connection due to where i live so cant watch them .
Any help will be appreciated thank you

Rob

It looks like you have got crap onto your polishing mop.

I would suggest you buy yourself a mop rake. With that, you can restore the surface of the mop back to a clean and soft buffing area. If you can't get a rake, a new, stiff steel wire brush will do the same job, but be careful, a rake has two handles to take the forces trying to pull it out of your hands, whereas a steel brush is usually a one handed operation. You could make one with a piece of shaped plywood and a load of panel pins sticking out by about ½".

You should be finishing off with an unstitched cotton mop with a super fine cutting soap.

When polishing, I can use up to four different mops and soaps to achieve the lustre I require, each one softer than the previous.

Bogs

Thank you bogs .
I think you have hit the nail on the head there is a bit of shiny residue on the mop .
Does anybody know where i can get one of these rakes here in the UK i have had a look on the web and no real success.

Rob

Go to Wilko's or similar and buy a 99p wire brush. Screw it to a peice of wood to give the double handles.

Julian

Latest posts

Back