Polishing Bearings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosey

Reaction score
How do you polish your cam shafts and cranks
I have 3m diamond sticks, and emery cloth.
How do you get those shiny glass-like surfaces?

Craytex after the 320 grit paper.

Dave

Thanks guys, Cratex is new to me. I am getting a stick, which should be very useful as I finish all of the bearings. I like shiny.

Hi Mosey

Craytex comes in different grits; be sure to get one of the finer grits. I think what I have been using is the medium; it is dark gray in color. Also I prefer the rectangular bars as to the rods.
It also works great for polishing up threads; be sure to cover your ways.

Dave

Hi Mosey

I prefer to use it dry but you can experiment and see what works for you. Sometimes I will put the stick to the belt sander to create a knife edge needed to get down into a corner. The Craytex is pressed into the spinning part (please exercise caution if you do this) and held in one spot until that area shines up. Then slowly move it down the shaft at a traverse speed that leaves the desired finish.

As with any polishing operations in the lathe please be "extremely careful" and cover your ways.

Dave

I am liking Cratex as it gives a very smooth polish with not too much work, and it is relatively clean. See the piston on my ER 32 Collet posting.

see the last picture on the "ER collets in South Bend lathe" post. It's right over there on my left right now at the bottom of the Recent posts.

I was looking at the ER collet adaptor that you had made and never noticed what was chucked in it; looks nice! What material is the piston made from?

Dave

Latest posts

Back