Please critique my workbench design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan s

Reaction score
I’m planning to make 2 new workbenches for my shop and before I started ordering material, I Wanted to run the design by everybody.

My design requirements are as follows:
1. Must be open underneath for role away tool storage.
2. Must be able to break it down for moving purposes
3. Must be able to handle a load of 1000 lbs (in case I get a bigger lathe ;D)

What I came up with is as follows:

Overall dimensions - W 72”, D 30”, H 40”– 44” (adjustable)

Top - 4” thick laminated hard maple. It should look pretty good when finished and provide good vibration dampening properties.

The legs & horizontal cross bracing are 2.5” x .12” square tubing

The rear diagonal bracing is 1-1/2” x 3/16” flat bar bolted to the legs. The theory is that since I have diagonals in both directions one is always under tension.

What does everyone think?

You might consider filling in the space between the legs at each end to increase rigidity as your legs are quite long. If you are going to make it with that much height adjustment (4 inches?) I would want the adjustment screws and pads to be as robust as possible 3/4 inch threaded and big pads. 1/4 by 2 would be stronger for diagonal bracing if you are thinking of putting a lathe on this bench.

Shopguy said:
If you are going to make it with that much height adjustment (4 inches?) I would want the adjustment screws and pads to be as robust as possible 3/4 inch threaded and big pads.

Actually that's what I'm using (I was pretty sure about the feet).
The feet are 1" thick and 2-1/2" in diameter. The bolt is a 3/4-10 x 6" carriage bolt with the head turned down.

Shopguy said:
1/4 by 2 would be stronger for diagonal bracing if you are thinking of putting a lathe on this bench.

Even under tension you think they should have a larger cross section?

I think your bench legs and feet will be fine. The top certainly will work. Lateral forces are what I would be concerned with, and you do show bracing for the legs. With the front of the bench intended on being open to facilitate roll around storage to be place undeneath, I would just plan on bracing the front legs in some fashion if they need it. All in all, I think they will work great!

wareagle said:
I think your bench legs and feet will be fine. The top certainly will work. Lateral forces are what I would be concerned with, and you do show bracing for the legs. With the front of the bench intended on being open to facilitate roll around storage to be place undeneath, I would just plan on bracing the front legs in some fashion if they need it. All in all, I think they will work great!
I would agree with W/E the front legs look a little suspect! maybe you could use a pair of extra strong large shelf type brackets to maintain the roll under capabilites, i used a similar method constructing a table for 2'x2'x6" surface plate also requiring the roll under storage space,plus if you later use it for a lathe it might require bolting down to the floor, to enable accurate levelling of the lathe, just me my two penn'orth other than that it looks fine
Max...........

For the front legs, build in an angle bracket at the top that doesn't limit your "rollunder" criteria too much. Assuming this is welded fabrication, I'm thinking of something simiilar to this:

TableLeg.jpg

With a welded angle piece like that I doubt that table is going anywhere.

Cheers,

BW

Bob,

Good idea :bow:

Another Bob

;D ok i think that when you finish this you really need to send it to me for further testing ;D

My dad said they same thing, and I told him I would send him a picture ;D

itowbig said:
;D ok i think that when you finish this you really need to send it to me for further testing ;D

Latest posts

Back