Plastic gears 3D printed

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consider there's a world of difference between a bimetal strip bending as temperature changes

Google "Memory Metal" you're answering whilst playing with only half a deck there!
:D

Additionally none of your response makes anything about the printing process "4D", if you had a grasp of some (these days) fairly basic Physics you'd see marketing hype for what it is.
Then again anyone with a liking for over-complication would skip straight past the phrase "3D printing of a 4D part" even though that is still stretching the reality somewhat and claim to be "4D printing".

If you're claiming time is the 4th dimension then all 3D printing which is not instantaneous is "4D"
:p
- Nick

Google "Memory Metal" you're answering whilst playing with only half a deck there!
:D

While memory metal is interesting stuff, you bought up car thermostats, etc. which are examples of thermal expansion. There's that reductio ad absurdum again.

Additionally none of your response makes anything about the printing process "4D", if you had a grasp of some (these days) fairly basic Physics you'd see marketing hype for what it is.

Then again anyone with a liking for over-complication would skip straight past the phrase "3D printing of a 4D part" even though that is still stretching the reality somewhat and claim to be "4D printing".

Hmmm, insults now? I think I'll refrain.

If you're claiming time is the 4th dimension then all 3D printing which is not instantaneous is "4D"
:p
- Nick

It's only Wikipedia, but here's a link to a decent explanation of time as a dimension. And a couple of quotes from the page:
"A temporal dimension is one way to measure physical change"
"In physics, three dimensions of space and one of time is the accepted norm"
Maybe my limited grasp of physics is causing me to misunderstand these basic premises? I will let my professors and research supervisor know post-haste.

I have no doubt there'll be some response to my post but as you have seen fit to denigrate me in your previous post I will no longer be conversing with you (feel free to have the last word though).
Have a great day! :)

While memory metal is interesting stuff, you bought up car thermostats, etc. which are examples of thermal expansion.

And in what way is change in volume with temperature less "4D" than other movement?

Oh, yeah, Wikipedia! That's your basic reference for Physics :D

You have nicely side-stepped the Memory Metal reference but have interestingly confirmed that any time-based change in dimension is valid as a 4-D process which includes thermal expansion such as wax-based thermostats and even bi-metal strips (which you raised but I at no point mentioned)

You have thus confirmed that calling 3D printing of "Stuff that moves" is no more 4D than the manufacture of anything else which remains less than perfectly stable with change of time or temperature.

I thank you for your confirmation in this,
Regards,
Nick

Latest posts

Back