Piston ring failure

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parksy

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi all

Something that has intrigued me is when people say they haven't had any luck making cast iron piston rings. I have done the research and am aware of the different methods everyone employs when making them.
My last engine employs piston rings and works nicely with good compression, at least I think it does. But when making the rings, I didn't use any precise methods for setting the ring gap and only annealed it with a propane torch without removing oxygen sources.
So I guess my question is, what constitutes a ring failure?

Thanks all

Andy

Hi Andy,
As the word implies failure would be a failure to do the intended job. In the case of a piston ring that would be wearing out or breaking, and I've never heard much of the latter.
For the home machinist the most common material for rings is cast iron. I use a material named Durabar (trade name) or Schedule 40, both being ductile irons. I have made them by the Trimble method and a few times like you describe. The most important thing is that they are made to fit the intended bore otherwise there is a loss of seal and therefore compression. There are different schools on end gap clearance but usually I try for no more than .002 on a 1.00 inch dia. bore. (.05 mm on a 25 mm bore) As the rings seat in that gap will increase slightly.
As far as people saying they don't have any luck making them I think it's a matter of not wanting to spend the time to make the necessary fixtures or the multiples required for a multi-cylindered engine. In most cases it's just easier to use an O ring and when it wears out replace it.
gbritnell

Latest posts

Back