" PIP "------Three Cyilinder Radial Engine.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was planning to build the Howell V-4 Engine but had to give up due to machine-tool limitation. The mini lathe will make it but I have to go for a bigger miil to handle the V-4 CrankCase.

From LittleLocos came the '' PIP '' Radial Engine Fotos which I could not resist.
Plans arrived via USPS.

''PIP'' will be 2016 Project. Meanwhile the drawings kind of thrill and frighten me.Plans came with Building Instruction Booklet. Will read up.

HMEM Maestros who have build PIP, please chip in and give me some expert advice. Will need all the help and expertise.

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4536.jpg

Hi Gus

How big is this radial? I'm currently in Batam again so no machining for me!!!

Dave

Hi Gus

How big is this radial? I'm currently in Batam again so no machining for me!!!

Dave

Just an indication. Cylinders are one piece with integral o/head. 0.6875'' ID x 1.5'' OH.
Very high tech and scary. Can be seen on LittleLocos.com. 11.3 cc. There is no GA Drawing showing finished engine outline dimensions. Suspect OH= 5'' OL=4'' OW = 5'' Propeller = 11'' Speed = 3,000---8000rpm
Glow Plug. Basically a glow plug engine.

Hi Paul.

''Pip" is not as formidable as Terry's 18 cylinder radial engine but scary for Gus. Am now having the usual think thrice before jumping in. There are some parts that require some skills I don't have. And some skills stretched to beyond me. :hDe::wall::rant: Todd Snouffer's machining instructions are quite comprehensive and Gus must read well. Trouble is Gus has bad memories.

Gus,

I hesitated before saying this in fear of giving you too much more to think about, but don't we all have more ideas than projects to our credit.

Perhaps a two-cylinder opposed design might provide a project to work up to a radial. Does anyone know one to recommend? I myself someday want to build a "flat four."

Enjoying all your posts,

--ShopShoe

Hi Gus,
I hope you do decide to build the Pip, I will be following along if you do. There is lots of good advice available on the forum should you need to ask. Think of all of your forum friends standing behind you and you will not feel alone.
Whatever you choose to do, whether building the PiP or creating a simpler design, then do what you feel is best. The main thing is to enjoy what you are building and we all understand that a stressful build might not be fun.
Steve

Reactions: gus
Gus,

I hesitated before saying this in fear of giving you too much more to think about, but don't we all have more ideas than projects to our credit.

Perhaps a two-cylinder opposed design might provide a project to work up to a radial. Does anyone know one to recommend? I myself someday want to build a "flat four."

Enjoying all your posts,

--ShopShoe

Have a look at the Beco-2 engine. It is an opposed twin 4 stroke.
http://www.metalstop.com/engine/plans/plans.shtml will get you the drawings.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Gus,

Enjoying all your posts,

--ShopShoe

Hi ShopShoe.

The Howell V-2 which I am building now was also very scary from the day I viewed the plans.V-2 is nearing completion now. Cutting the timing/cam gears and machining the gear case to fit in and mesh the gear train is also scary. Jerry Howell has so many mini parts for us to make and list is about endless. V-4 is not on my build list. Bought ''flat four'' prints and I gave up as the engine and parts beyond my machine-tool capacity. Also looked a mini V-2 engine which is not as scary but too mini.
V-2 should be up and running by the end 2015.
Thanks for the support.

IMG_4127.jpg

Last edited:
Apologies for OT,

Thank you deverett

--ShopShoe

Gus, I have to add this P.S. to add kudos to you for becoming one of the "gearmiesters."

Latest posts

Back