Pickle Solutions for Silver Soldering

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SandyC said:
:) ;)

Hi Guys,

For hobby use in a domestic environment, especially where there are young children, the use of the higher (more severe) Acids (Sulfuric, Hydrochloric etc) is courting disaster and the much safer alternative of Citric Acid is the way to go.

Vinegar may be safer but dilute Sulfuric acid (battery acid 37% diluted 7 or 8 to one) will do in ten minutes what will take over night with vinegar.

If you have kids and pets around you better keep the shop locked anyway because there is a lot of other things that can bite them there besides acid. Don't forget your goggels and don't put hot items into the acid bath, the steam that comes out is diluted acid not just water.

Hi Loosenut,

I agree with you about efficiency of the sulphuric, but with my shop so small, any acid fumes and I have rust everywhere....I just bring it outside if I can.

I am intrigued by the citric acid, as it supposedly won't evaporate off and cause the rusting.

My Kids whom I adore know better than to even go into the shop without me. That is drilled into them CONSTANTLY!... When they are there they wear their goggles........but at 6 they haven't got their heads wrapped around the concept of that watery looking stuff can burn them.....I may need to give them a demonstration....but I would rather just do something else if it works well enough.

So far I am having a tough time finding a regular supply that doesn't come in a 5 lb bag or need to be mail ordered......I'll let you know when I do.

Dave

Built with the help of citric acid... food for thought (excuse the pun) :)

OB Finsihed Boiler.JPG

steamer said:

So far I am having a tough time finding a regular supply that doesn't come in a 5 lb bag or need to be mail ordered......I'll let you know when I do.

Dave

Here in the UK you can buy citric acid as Kettle de-scaler in small sachets in any supermarket.

You can also get safety pickle from jewellery making suppliers - it's about £8 for a Kg

Latest posts

Back