So I Have This Crazy Idea...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t bother with any math i just used an online calculator for engine capacity . I know from past experience that that a 40 mm bore and 40 mm stroke was around 50 cc as i have bought pistons and ring for these engines off ebay - why stuff around making rings when you can by a set for $3 ! I also picked up a reamer that is a couple of thou under 40 mm so i can ream then hone a bore to final size easily , i can either make a piston or buy one off ebay for a few dollars .

Pardon my delay in response. Last Saturday morning my wife and I were washing the cars when she tripped over the hose and landed hard on our concrete walkway. She broke a piece off the top of her thigh bone (she has stainless steel hip replacements on both hips) and can't get around the house without a walker. I've been running all week trying to help her out around the house.

I have had had odd minutes here and there to search for plans that I might use to build something along the size of a 49cc/3.0 ci engine, including finding some surprising parts on eBay. The only model I can recall that gets close in displacement is something like the PMR Hit and Miss at 2.5 cubic inch.

While you were starting from experience with 50cc engines and knowledge of the field, I'm starting from almost complete ignorance. I don't think I have much of a chance of success with some plans or some examples. I am a retired engineer, but electrical - radio and radar designer for commercial aircraft. I haven't worked with engines much since the late '60s, early '70s.

Do you know of any books or other resources to fill this big hole in my knowledge?

Google "The shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos"---I think it is available through "Village Press". Nothing, and I really mean NOTHING is going to teach you what you want to know better than building two or three of the engines in the book---and yes, I've built them all, the plans are good.

Hey Brian. I'm just in the process of building a Jerry Howell Farm Boy hit n miss engine and a guy in the US suggested I purchase The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos. I bit the bullet and ordered it from Village Press today together with the Two Shop Masters. Both $42 each plus a massive $45 postage to the UK. I'm really looking forward to receiving them. I'm a bit of a novice but my build progress is available on YouTube. If I manage to get the Farm Boy running I think my next project will be a Duclos engine.
All the best.
Andrew Whale

Back