Picador pulley grub screw thread

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to establish the thread used on the grubscrew on a Picador pulley.
The pulley is marked 2½ inch and fits a 5/8 inch shaft. I suspect it is quite old (pre-metrication). The grubscrew which is in it has a slotted "head which is badly rusted and worn Because of the wear and relatively small size it is rather difficult to measure, but the diameter measuires 0.24" with a digital caliper and the tpi seems to be around 18 or 20 - my first guess was ¼" UNC or BSW. I tried the former and it is much too large in diameter and a 3/16 BSW is much too small. M6 seems to fit - ie it starts in the thread on the pulley, but is much too fine a thread.

It is probably olde worlde 1/4" UNC

You could try tapping through the thread with an M6 coarse tap, or if it is too loose, then drill it out with 6.80 dia. drill
and then tap M8.

It is probably olde worlde 1/4" UNC

You could try tapping through the thread with an M6 coarse tap, or if it is too loose, then drill it out with 6.80 dia. drill
and then tap M8.
As I said in my original post 1/4 unc is much too big. I think the original screw measured too large because of the rust and corrosion on it. As a last resort I will drill it out and re-tap for something readily obtainable. However, there is a second "land" opposite the one with the screw in so it is feasible to drill and tap that for something which I already have!

Thanks for the responses. I have decided to take the coward's way out and drill the existing thread out and tap it 6mm coarse thread. This decision was accelerated by finding a second (unbranded) 2 1/2 " pulley in my box of bits missing its grub screw. However, the thread in that one is similar but different, so by sorting out both, it will give me two useable pulleys. I thought sourcing appropriate grub-screws in small quantity would be difficult, but found a pack of 10 on Ebay, together with a tap (I don't have any metric coarse taps, as I still mostly use Whitworth, Unified and BA. I am gradually going metric inch-by-inch.

Latest posts

Back