Philp Duclos "Victorian" IC engine Project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you who have been following this thread with such enthusiasm, I've got a bit of sad news. The build is at an end. I know... I'll miss it too, but when the last part is bolted on, the build phase is pretty much at an end. There are two small 2-56 holes left to drill and tap and then all the construction is completed. I'm waiting to take those on until I'm sure a specific adjustment is in the right spot and only a running machine will tell me if it's correctly positioned.

The additions I've made since the last post haven't been large enough to warrant their own postings and the pump is due to have its own short thread, so I decided to concentrate on finishing things up. That required reworking a couple of pieces to add strength and correct a couple of items I didn't like the Duclos solutions for.

It also required a bit of wiring to incorporate a bit of modern electronics into an old style design. Below is the ignition box for the engine. John Ernhardt kindly contributed the beautifully made Amish made oak box to the project. I almost hated to put holes in it, but the electrons needed a way to get to the little engine and old style brass lug type terminals seemed a good way to let them travel.

final-box.jpg

Here are the internals of the system. They consist of 3 AA 1.5 volt alkaline batteries, a small on / off switch for them and an ignition module complete with coil from www.cncengines.com . Roy Sholl is the proprietor and I can tell you that he couldn't possibly have been more helpful. He was available for questions and patiently answered each one even when I must have sounded like a total rube. The kit was easy to work with and the instructions were quite clear and left no room for confusion. This little module is one powerful little trick and will throw an amazing spark, as I learned while tracking down a arcing short to ground, caused by me. Even though I've not quite gotten the engine running as of yet, it certainly isn't due to a lack of fire.

final-box-1.jpg

The other item that was added since last was the cooling system. Since this is a water cooled engine some method of delivering coolant was required. The original design called for a modified cat food can which was elevated to cylinder level. I didn't think that idea would quite match where I've tried to take this project, so a whole new means of delivery was in order. I went through numerous mental designs before finally deciding to keep the pump dead simple as possible. Out the window went all kinds of ideas for eccentric straps, lever actions and such.

The winning design wound up being a spring loaded pump shaft driven by direct contact with an eccentric. The flow was a wild estimate since the darned thing still had to fit beneath the rear shaft. This space limitation finally lead me to a Hobson's choice of a 3/8 bore 3/8 stroke. You'll notice that this item was held until very late in the project, giving you some idea of how long and how many times the idea was changed, altered re-modified and scrapped resurrected and generally over cogitated. Here is a photo of what I finally did.

final-pump-detail.jpg

The "balloon" shaped dome is a water hammer column which was added to give the rigid pluming a bit of added protection from vibration. I can't stop the engine from shaking the pipes, but I didn't want the pump adding to it. The flanges are machined fit and required no gaskets although the threads going into the pump and the water jacket are treaded and required a bit of blue loctite to stop a couple of very persistent leaks..... 6 complete plumbing tear downs worth....LOL.

final-pumpside.jpg

The brass mesh in the small tank serves as a cooling screen where water trickles down the sides and is exposed to ambient air temperatures to cool it. It is then recirculated to the pump. The copper lines were bent and shaped and then threaded with a 1/4- 28. Soft copper is an interesting metal to work with since it is soft and gummy but tends to work harden very quickly when you begin to torture it. What felt like metaling chewing gum can very suddenly become quite brittle and hard to thread.

Here is the result of the first successful test of the cooling system. I say first successful because it took a bit of trial and error to get the right design for the check (clack) valves it required. I even managed to hide them inline using the same designs as I used in the flanged joints. Once valve is locate at the tank base and the other is inside the flange that screws into the water jacket. Look closely and you can see the water flowing onto the screen mesh.

final-water.jpg

The rest of the photos are of different angles of the engine.

final-waterside.jpg

final-carbside.jpg

I've already begun the effort to get it dialed in and early indications are that it will eventually run. I've managed to get it to produce a bit of smoke and at one point had it giving me a bit of a popping from the exhaust. I've got to get he timing and fuel mixture sorted out, but I have some local help lined up should it prove to be beyond my kin.

This has been a marvelous project and sharing it has been pure joy. You've all been extremely supportive and the enthusiasm has been gratifying. The next time you see this engine will be in the video section, once it is up and running. Thank you all for taking this trip with me. Without you peering over my shoulder there were a couple of times I might have shelved the project. The fact that you were here kept things moving along, and for that I am very appreciative.

Until the next build....
Steve

Absolutely Beeeaaaaauuutifill!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ron

Steve, I'm totaly impressed. Your redesign, your build series, your innovation on this project is nothing short of modeling excellence. I like the others can't wait to see it running. If I may ask, what type of little snags are you having in that department? I too have one of Roy's ignition modules and it works great. I use a 4 battery set on mine. I don't know how much difference it makes?
gbritnell

A very beautiful engine Steve. Great work.
One thing I really like about this engine is that it's chock-full of very interesting assemblies and details. I find myself admiring one area and then another area gets my attention and I sit and stare and admire that one. It's just one ooh after another. Can't wait to see it run.

It is a beautiful piece of work Steve. It makes my work look so utilitarian.

Thank you for the delightful journey that you have taken us on during the build.
:bow: :bow: :bow:
Gail in NM

True excellence at the highest level Steve. My God man, this engine just reeks of uniqueness and I can only imagine in my worst dreams the aggravations and frustrations that you have had to endure in what has been a wondrous road to follow. All of your creativity and perseverance is finally going to be rewarded when that beauty decides to kick over. BRAVO! Thanks very much for sharing the ride with us all.

BC1
Jim

:bow: Cedge :bow:

I'll nominate this for engine of the year. It's just beautiful and excellent workmanship.

Regards

Philly

Beautiful Steve and the highest calibre of craftsmanship. Your added touches definitely enhance the Duclos original design !! Sorry to see the thread end but thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Bill

Truly a thing of beauty! Amazing how many shiny pieces have to be bolted on to the basic engine to make it run!

Chuck

Steve

Simply outstanding in every respect. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Joe

Steve, STUNNING Job!
Thank you for taking us along for the ride !
Sincerely, Arnold

Steve,

A marvellous piece of craftsmanship. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

GEEEEEZZZZZZ, Steve, I'd forgotten about this engine !!

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!! That turned out uber-beautiful !! :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Definitely an engine-of-the-month/year !

<going back to my whimpering corner> :p

Mike

:bow: I love the look of this engine! It's my new wallpaper at work. :bow:

But, at the risk of sounding like a jerk; I don't like the wiring, it looks too modern.

I can't wait to hear it run.

Vernon...
No argument from me....(grin). I'll be digging up some fabric covered wire for the final touch. I simply grabbed what I had on hand to introduce the electrons to the little fellow. They'll travel in true old fashioned style when I'm done.

All the kind words are enough to make one's head spin. I'm pleased that the engine has met with such a positive reception. One never knows how things will go when starting a build log. This one has, for me, been a total mind blower.

Windii...
I've penciled in the Dallas N.C. show and should have this engine with me when I arrive. I've gotten tied in with a group of guys who attend many of the local shows and they're pushing for me to do the North Carolina circuit with them in October.

A short update to today's efforts to get it running. John, who I mentioned earlier was gracious enough to host me and the engine today as we tried to get the timing and mixture adjustments sorted out. While we were able to get it to hit, it just wouldn't take off on its own. After a good bit of troubleshooting we discovered that the intake valve is apparently not seating properly.

Since I've lapped the valves for the 3rd time and still have some leakage, I'll be doing a bit of surgery to the heads tomorrow to install a pair of brass seats. This should make it easier to get a proper seal and hopefully a running machine. It really really tried to run today, so I'm quite optimistic about things. We tried it on Coleman fuel and Propane, both of which were "successful" but at very different mixture settings. The Coleman fuel is my choice for the time being.

Tomorrow, the two 2-56 holes will also be drilled and I'll be adding a check valve to the fuel line to keep a nice fresh supply at the intake at all times. I'll also be attempting to modify the tank for use as a vapor carb. If I do it right, I can easily switch from aspiration to vapor or vice versa, whenever the mood strikes.

Getting closer...
Steve

Reactions: cmc
Keep at it Steve, she's beautiful... :bow: :bow: :bow:..We want Video! ;D

Dave

BEAUTIFUL Steve!

Believe it or not I'm at a loss for words!
Speechless!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rick

Totally and completely stunning, Steve. Great work. Superb workmanship. Thanks for sharing the build with us.

Dean

Back