Peter Arnot's V2-V4

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentprop

Reaction score
Hi,all.First off, Happy New Year and may this year bring many projects out from under the benches,where they had been carefully stored ;D
I was leafing through some older "model boats"(UK)magazines from 1988 and there was a series of articles about building a V-2 launch(marine) engine,by Peter Arnot.
I was wondering if anyone has built this engine,and if it had sufficient power to drive a steam launch of 36" to 40".
A launch (S. L. Swift)was actually part of the build series,as well as a pump,and boiler,but I can't find any reference to the plan on the "Model Boats"site.Anyone know if it's still available?For the boat,that is.The engine plans were all part of the articles.
I have nearly finished Bog's twin piston valve,so scouting around for something new to do.
I think Bog's engine is actually a bit big for the type of boat I want to put it in.

I forgot to mention that Peter developed a V-4,based on his V-2,which appeared in a later series in said magazine.I think it was in 1992.
So if building the twin,it wouldn't be a big step up to make the parts for the V-4 at the same time,while I have the machines setup for each part.
They seem to be relatively simple engines,and according to the author,work well in his boat.
He ran them on camping gas cartridges.

Thanks for that,Gerald.I have the complete plans and instructions for building the engine,boiler,pump,etc.
I have found a "freebie"plan in another model boats issue,the "Rose",which I had enlarged by a third.This makes it about1.1m long.I'm in the middle of building it ,but realise now I really should have built the complete power plant first.
Bit of a "chicken and egg" situation.regards.Hans.

Back