Paul Breisch Little brother needs help. (Machine work)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briggszz

Reaction score
HI!

I have a built Paul Breisch Little Brother I'd love to fix up, get running and pass on down through several generations.. I bought it from a 90 year old man in PA.
he built this engine some 30+ years ago. I don't believe the engine has ever ran. however, I think it got plenty
of run time on the starter..maybe even dry on oil.. The Cyl. is tapered and badly bored.( I'd like to sleeve it, or bore it out larger and make a new piston, I think it has a 3/4" bore and a 1.5" stroke.)

I don't have the time, equipment, or skills to do this work right.. Is anyone here is interested in doing the machine work? I will make it worth your while.. in cash or in trade.. I have a completed "Victorian" IC engine that runs good if it sweetens the deal for anyone.. Cedge has the same engine, only his is much nicer.. this one is nice too tho..

FYI>> none of the timing and balancing on this engine was even remotely close it needs redone.

The work needed... and some just wanted..

1. 3/4" bore, hopper cooled Cyl. sleeved, with an extra sleeve made just in case and an extra piston and rings made... or at least, bored and honed oversize, new aluminum piston made to fit, cast iron rings 3/4"x1/16" (3)

2. I really want to convert this engine over to ball bearings on the mains, and if possible, the rod too.

3. flywheels converted to clamp on to the shaft compression style with a tapered bushing,

4. crankshaft machined, or remade. the guy that made this engine cut 5 different keyways trying to get it right.. I can fill in the old key-ways with my welder... however the crank will need to be turned and polished on the shafts..the crank itself is OK. I should not need new "CORRECT" keyways made if the flywheels clamp on well..

let me know if your interested.. Thanks!!!

Since I retired I've considered taking on repairs and restorations, I'm still considering it, but although I have a Lil Brother kit I haven't built it and have no experience timing model hit-n-miss engines. I have a superb machinist and model builder friend nearby who has built several HnM engines, both model and full size, and he always complains because no matter how careful he is they always need a lot of fiddling to get them running. In the case of an engine of unknown build quality, it might take more work than meets the eye to get it up and running. It's kind of like an old house remodeling . . . you never know what you're going to find until you open the walls up.

If I was doing this I'd leave the bearings as they were designed because they are an historical record of how they were built of full size practice. Given a squirt of 3-in-1every once in a while the bronze bearings will last generations, and besides on such an engine the bearings are probably the least susceptible to age and wear & tear. If you insisted, a less visible bearing option would be to use needle bearings, but I would probably plan on remaking the crankshaft because even with great care there's a good chance the welding will warp it.

As Harry stated doing work on something with sloppy work opens up a real can of worms. If the bore is tapered and out of round and the crank is a mess then what do the valves and guides look like. There a good chance if will also need head work. Email me at: [email protected] and we'll talk about it.
gbritnell

Latest posts

Back