Patterns

Discussion in 'Engines From Castings' started by Powder keg, Mar 1, 2008.

Help Support HMEM by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 1, 2008 #1

Powder keg

Powder keg

Powder keg

Here is a quick picture of some of the patterns I'm trying to finish up. I just drew the layout the lines so I can drill them for the pins that will locate the two half's of my split patterns. I'll try and get some more photos of me doing this step.

[​IMG]

I got a new camera and I need the practice:eek:)

Later, Wes

2. Mar 1, 2008 #2

BobWarfield

BobWarfield

BobWarfield

Wes, are you going to take us all the way through cast on this thread?

Patterns are looking very cool!

Best,

BW

3. Mar 1, 2008 #3

Powder keg

Powder keg

Powder keg

Yes, but my back yard is still too muddy:eek:( Soon though. I cleaned off my molding bench and when I get these patterns done I'll have something to cast. I have a few more patterns that I'm working on, kind of in a mad dash to get the harder patterns done while I have access to the neat CNC machines at school. Their router is amazing. I could keep one of those busy for a while.

Wes

4. Mar 2, 2008 #4

Brass_Machine

Brass_Machine

Brass_Machine

The middle flywheel on the top row... very cool.

CNC machines are great. I am acquiring the parts to convert both my mill and lathe. I have the opportunity coming to get some 80/20 to frame out a router as well.

Can't wait to see where this thread goes.

Eric

5. Mar 2, 2008 #5

Powder keg

Powder keg

Powder keg

Thats my favorite also:eek:)

I layed out the holes and drilled the first side all the way through. Then I clamped the two half's together and drilled through the holes that I just drilled. This insures that the two half's line up. Next I'll glue some tooth picks in for alignment pins.

[​IMG]

After the pins are dried, I'll start sanding the patterns.

Later, Wes

6. Mar 2, 2008 #6

BobWarfield

BobWarfield

BobWarfield

Wes, routers are one of the easiest CNC's to make. No end of articles on CNCZone. RE 80/20, sees Joes new 4x4 design on the 'Zone, which is 80/20. Looks like a real nice build out.

You could do this kind of work on a CNC converted mill, but the router allows for larger projects too.

Thanks for starting this thread. I am eager to learn more about casting for sure!

I want to build a forge to make Damascus steel. Now I'm wondering if I can use it to melt material for casting too. I'll have to think about that!

Best,

BW

7. Mar 2, 2008 #7

Mcgyver

Mcgyver

Mcgyver

Wes, looks good, the homeshop potential for cnc made wood patterns is tremendous. how are you getting the draft angles - multiple passes with steps or are you using one of the end mills with a couple of degrees of taper?

in the first pic it looks like parts came off a 2 1/2 axis machine, are you cnc's the profiles, like say those on the spokes, or are you sanding them in?

great stuff - keep it coming

8. Mar 2, 2008 #8

Powder keg

Powder keg

Powder keg

I am drawing them up in master cam. I have machined everything with a ball endmill. It makes multiple passes. The draft angles are drawn in and the router takes it from there. They require a light sanding when they come off the router.

Later, Wes

9. Aug 14, 2008 #9

xlchainsaw

xlchainsaw

xlchainsaw

bob if you build a forge it will be great for melting aluminium and small amounts of brass. if you make a "hood" for it you will turn it into a small furnace. a peice of 50mm or 75 mm steel pipe with a handle on makes a good pot. of course you need to weld a bottom on it lol :)

10. Aug 14, 2008 #10

BobWarfield

BobWarfield

BobWarfield

Yep, I see the hood idea and it's a good one. Most of the forges pivot the lid anyway. Just as easy to make a hood that pivots in place of the lid for forging.

Cheers,

BW

11. Aug 15, 2008 #11

xlchainsaw

xlchainsaw

xlchainsaw

i made mine from a 9 kg gas bottle. not quite cut into two ,i use the bottom for the fire and the other half is used for the hood. i just cut the bottom out of it and a bit outa of the side to allow for my pot handle. i use my air compressor for air through an old gas stove fitting so extra air is drawn in. i set my regulator to 30 psi . i use scrap timber and bbq. beads for fuel works a treat! when i scrounge enough scrap brass i will give brass a go! i have no reason to believe it wont work as i heard of others doing the same for small amounts.