Paddleducks do-able on a Taig?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

student123

Reaction score
I've downloaded John Bogstandards excellent pdf book for his paddleducks
engine.

I have a Taig lathe with milling attachment (ok for very light milling).
Any views if the paddleducks is do-able on a Taig?

Also are there any CAD plans available and is there a material parts list?

Mike

I think the Paddleducks could be done on a Taig lathe with milling attachment and a 4 jaw chuck, but a few parts may be a bit more work-- the block (drilling holes into the ends & milling the passages) and the base-plate (it's fairly large, you might need to saw it by hand) come to mind.

Thank you Shred, I'll go take a closer look at the block & base plate.

I built two of Bog's paddleducks twins last year using a Taig for the turned parts without any problem. I didnt use it to mill though, so I cant comment on that, but, I think as long as you work with light cuts only you should be ok.

Ian

Ian,

Thanks. Sorry about the delay in replying.

For the second part of my OP, would you (or anyone) know of CAD plans available and is there a material parts list?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

Mike, I built the Bog's paddleducks twins using a mini lathe and mini mill, without CAD plans, only with the very clear plans of the pdf. The diferents thread are very useful too. With this built I have got a lot of skills in this fantastic world of the model engines (silver solder included) . I encourage you to built it.

ToniTd1490

student123:

There used to be a set of DXF files that were available on Rapidshare, I don't know if they are still available. The drawings were done as a project by several students and while they looked good at first glance the drawings did not agree with the original sketches and build instructions in several places. There are several of us that are working on updates to the drawings for this engine. Search both here and on Madmodder for Bogstandard's Paddleduck engine and you will probably get more info.

I've been working on drawings for an Imperial version of the engine in my "spare" time for several months but I wouldn't consider them ready to build from, at least not for anybody other than myself.

The original drawings left a lot to be desired as far as dimensions and accuracy are concerned. I've heard that the drawings were done by a bunch of kids, that had never seen anything like this before, so all things considered they did an outstanding job. If I remember correctly I had issues loading the DXF files but I eventually got them to load and have saved them as ACAD2004 DWG files. PM me and I'll see if I can sent them to you.

Long time lurker,
Don

I'll see if I still have the original

Bogs' crap-o-cad drawings are more than fine for building this engine. Since all the dimensions are integer metric mm, converting anything to imperial is just a matter of having a calculator handy to divide by 25.4.

OK I've found some plans at:
http://www.machinistblog.com/bogstandards-paddleduck-engine-plans/

(About half way down the page and also I had an issue loading them to look at).
This would only be my second engine, so I'm leery about using plans that might not be accurate, as maybe my skills aren't developed yet to spot ay plan errors early enough.
Don, thanks for the heads up on the plans out there and the kind offer re the PM for files.

I'm on metric (apart from the Taig!) so I'll go back to Bogstandards
drawings & take a closer look.

Mike

Mike,

Bogs's dimensions on his c o c drawings are absolutely fine, work to those and all will be well.

These engines were the first I attempted to build and approached the project hoping for 50% success rate - hence building two. They were also the first big project on my new mill.

I ended up with two working units.

Ian

I just finished printing out the complete 115 page build manual for this nice little engine, and I have the dxf & dwg files that I was going to try to spool off our plotter at work today... If the drawings print off ok, and look good I can send them to you if you would like.

I would like to thank Bogstandard for the incredible write up on such a wonderful little engine :) After I complete my mccabes runner I will be starting construction on this engine as my second engine :)

Regards,

Will R. Everett, WA.

Back