Paddle Steam Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_kilde

Reaction score
Hello Folks

Well I finally got started on my next project.
It will be an engine type looking a bit like the ones used in paddle steamers, the type where the paddle wheel was behind the hull.

A CAD of the hole project :

aallassembly.jpg

The project so far :

BILD0056.jpg

I also would like to show a close up on the bolts that I need to make 42 pcs. of for this engine, it is M3 bolts with a 2.6 mm keywidth :

BILD0057.jpg

Any comment is welcome

Great start, and interesting engine. Will watch the build.

JimN

You're doing the bolts completely from scratch(bar stock)?

Wow! Nice job and alot of threading too! I can't see any oil grooves or oiling holes in . Will you be using an oiler of any kind?

Kermit

It looks like an interesting engine. Should have an intriguing motion, too.

I like the looks of the screws, (not to mention the rest of your progress). Did you make them on a manual machine? Sorry, I have fasteners on the brain.

Dean

Hi All
Thanks for the comments

The bolts is made from bar stock free machining steel, the thread is made by use os a tapping die in the lathe and the hexagon head is milled one face at the time in my miling attacment on the lathe, so it is a good change to spend time at the lathe/milling attachment :)

I have no plans of lubricating cups or the like, just a squit of oil at appropriate places, from the oil can, from time to time.

Hi Mogens, great project, will watch with interest. In the original of the type, is there a drive astern to the paddlewheel? John

Nice start Mogens. Will look forward to watching the progress on this one.

Bill

A great rendering Mogens. Engines with Stephenson linkage are great to watch in action. As John stated, I'm curious about the usage of the engine. Having studied stern paddlewheel boats and engines this type is generally used for sidewheel type boats but you learn something new every day. About what size will it be, bore, stroke?
gbritnell

Oh this will be interesting. I like paddle wheel boats.
Please keep up the detail and pics.

Well, not to usurp Mogens' thread, but yes, they are usually associated with side wheelers, with the wheels mounted directly on the crankshaft.

paddle.jpg

It's good to see someone making a paddle engine,my brother and I made the Egar T Westbury designed model about 30 years ago with a few modifications.Here it is ,hope it will give you some inspiration.
Don
Models008.jpg

Hi Don

Your picture I believe I found, amongs others, on the internet and the very same picture/design have given me much inspiration to my design - so thanks to you and your brother and of course Mr. Westbury

That is strange,you found my pic on the internet,I remember e-mailing one to a Dutch guy who was was writting an articicle on the last dutch paddle steamer,other than that I don't know how it got on there.
Don

That's not our engine,we made the small ends more of the marine type,but thanks for that .
hope you enjoy your build.
Don

Hello Folks

After the rather time consuming job of making the 42 pcs. small bolts, I now have made the upper bracket for the main bearings

BILD0072.jpg

All that is left now, is the rest :big:

Hi to all

Well I'm sorry that things is going a little slow, but now I have made the crankshaft for the engine.

BILD0114.jpg

I was planning to make the shaft from seperate parts, but my skills didn't suffice to make a shaft that runs thrue, so I made the shaft by turning between centres.

BILD0100.jpg

I was planning to make the shaft from seperate parts, but my skills didn't suffice to make a shaft that runs thrue, so I made the shaft by turning between centres.

That's a lot of skill right there. Very nice!

On the similar Westbury paddle engine there are two center bearing supports, which allowed two separate crankshafts joined with a coupling. So that way a composite crankshaft is much more doable. Having had problems getting a multipiece crankshaft to turn smoothly with my paddleducks engine build, I can appreciate the issues you had.

Latest posts

Back