oring groove design.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd0afk

Reaction score
I need an oring grove on a thing im making. It is a piston style fitting and the cylinder is made.of pyrex. Basically it's a holding tank sealed by orings at each end. I don't want to harm the glass and i don't want it to leak. How can i find the correct oring and the dimensions of the groove.

I would think that the chemical weld should be as strong as the parent material.
Tin

Make the groove so that the ring compresses about 0.1 mm all round and you should be right. That's what I've used in the past and it works for me. You don't give any dimensions of this holding tank so a bit more info would help

Last edited:
I would think that the chemical weld should be as strong as the parent material.
Tin

O Ring Belt.

Once a while Would need an odd pitch length belt to drive auxiliary stuffs like
Speed Governor. I have an engine with speed governor to drive.Currently make do with elastic band which does not last too long.

During my Ingersoll-Rand days ,did use super glue to gum up odd size O rings for field emergency. For insurance,my men would replace with "genuine
IR "O" Rings.;):D

Thanks for expert advise.

The metal part of the tank will look like a thread spool. The edges of the "spool" will contain the rings (one per) The id of the glass is 17.5mm and this measurement will dictate the the diameter of the tank.
I will check the links out but what I am wanting is a calculator where I can input my measurements and the result will be a catalogue number for the oring and exact measurements of the groove.
The tank won't be under any pressure.

I love McMaster Carr's site, thanks for that link. Got what I was looking for

The glass ID is .685039", the chart calls for an x-ring that is .551" ID and .691" OD and the ring has a thickness of .070".
Questions:
How wide should I make the gland?
Will .551 be the diameter of the gland?
and Will .006" be enough compression to make a moderate seal?
The liquid is kind of viscous and has a hard time flowing through a 1mm hole so a seal that will just keep it contained will be fine. As said before, the tank will have no pressure, it is just a holding tank to hold nicotine liquid so a wick can feed a heating coil.

Latest posts

Back