Opposed 4 Compressed Air

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very nice engine Chuck, sounds great too, Congrats :bow: :bow: :bow:

Many thanks to all for the kind words. For those that asked, the engine does use a ball bearing slave valve which is located in the head. Here is a diagram:

bc508ef0.jpg

The performance and sound of the engine can be varied by changing the type of spring. A heavier spring lets the engine run faster and makes for a beefier sound. Right now, the springs I used are pretty light weight making for slower speeds with less air pressure.

Chuck

what a sound!
What do you mean you want to do some more work? Looks pretty finished to me. :hDe:

take care,

tom in MA

Been thinking about the stand for my engine and started work on it tonight. I made it from a piece of magnesium I've had laying around for a few years. Gotta say, that stuff is a dream to machine. It's (a lot) lighter than aluminum and it doesn't gum up or stick to your bits at all. Nice, crisp shavings and beautiful finish, even with carbide end mills. It does cut slower than aluminum with my 4 x 6 bandsaw, not sure why. Yeah, I know it can cause a pretty exciting fire if ignited, but the kindling point is 883 deg F. so it's not likely to spontaneously combust. Too bad it's not more available.

This piece will mount to the underside of the engine, hollowed side down.

374138c8.jpg

Chuck

Here's another video of my opposed 4 engine. As you can see, I've finished the base for it. From the bottom up, the first piece was made from 3" channel iron. The next piece was carved out of chunk of aluminum, 1 3/4" x 3/4" x 4" - the holes are 3/8" diameter. The vertical piece and the piece supporting the engine are both made from magnesium. Again, I really like machining that stuff.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFs24p4jYvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFs24p4jYvQ[/ame]

Had a bit of excitement in the shop yesterday. I was grinding and polishing the steel base for the engine on my belt grinder, and I forgot that I had been grinding and sanding the magnesium pieces on the same belt grinder. A few seconds after the sparks start flying from the steel piece, I had a wall of fireworks move across the top of my bench. there was quite an accumulation of magnesium dust on my bench top and it made quite the sparkler. Luckily there was nothing flammable on the bench top and the fireworks didn't really generate enough heat to cause any damage, but it was breathtaking for a few seconds.

I also had one of the silver solder joints on my built up crankshaft let go a couple of days ago. I cleaned it up and locktited it back together. I also pinned it with a 3/32 roll pin. I think it will hold now.

Chuck

Hi Chuck. Sure sounds sweet. And I really like the stand, its very creative!

I would love to build one. Hint, hint. ;D

-MB

Neat! Sounds like J-3 taxiing out for take off. :big: :big: :big:

Ron

Hi Chuck.

A great running engine and fireworks, what more could you ask for. :big:

Cheers

Jeff

Wonderful work. Unique design and great presentation.

Thanks for all your efforts.

What a good sound, and a great runner, Chuck. Really aircraft-like in looks, too. Nice job!

Back