Open sand mould or not

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stragenmitsuko

Reaction score
I'm gonna try to cast a T slot plate for a cnc router I'm building .
I have a very good quality alloy of alum that I can melt , and I have more then enough of it .

The pattern is made . It's dimensions are 425*274*26 mm . (17*11*1 inches ) .
For reference , the plan is printed on A4 size paper

If I calculate the volume needed , it will be about what my crucible can hold .
A full crucible is 3 liter , the pattern is 2.7 liter . Even the 2.7 liter is a bit abovethe safety limit I would say . Probably will pour over when degassing
No material left for a traditional mould with raiser and feeders .
And I wouldn't know where to place them anyway or how many would be needed for such a large surface .

I can live with some shrinkage , as all surfaces will be machined , and I have
made the pattern a few mm thicker then really needed .

So what do the more more experienced casters think .
Can I get away with an open mould , or should I get a bigger crucible .

plate_1.jpg

plate_2.jpg

Having a very small amount of experience with open molds I would expect the top to suck in due to shrinkage. You might want to pour maybe 1-1/4 thick to allow for an inch after machining. I have seen some thick castings suck in more than that. Other than that i would expect a good result.

I would try open mold with pattern placed grooves down if possible, shrinkage will be limited by
the large area at the top now, can even pour more material that way.

Personally id want to see a covered mold and plenty of sprue. Even then i would imagine excessive shrinkage.

Now my experience consists of a few years in a die cast shop which is obviously a different technology. Given that i cant see anyway to prevent shrinkage without a high sprue and likely many risers.

Beyond that i have to agree with the suggestion to buy a plate, ideally avoiding aluminum.

The other option would be to have a foundry cast the plate in cast iron. Shrinkage will be a lot less and a good foundry will be able to pour a ton of metal.

Your third option is a bigger crucible and the ability handle it. Make the plate extra thick and make sure you have plenty of pressure in the sprue.

Maybe I should elaborate .

I'm building a little cnc desktop router .
It 'll look a bit like the on in the picture .
The t-slot plate usually has an mdf spillboard on it , and that is where
all the cutting is done .
Only light cutting forces , almost like an engraver .

I do agree that cast is much better , fi for a milling attachement on a lathe , but for this particular project its not needed .

The reason I'm trying to cast it is because I don't have any material of the right size available . Sadly round here ( belgium ) we don't have companies like
mc- master to order blanks .
And offcourse it's great to diy and learn something in the process . :thumbup:
Altough I admit if I could find a piece of suitable plate I would probably buy it and save me the pattern making and moulding . :)

Thx for all the replies , I'm gonna give it a go with an open mould and I'll post the results here .

Pat

midi.jpg

Hi Pat,

If you can't have some fun with a build the what is the point. The only problem i see for you is being able to pour enough aluminum to cover the shrinkage problem. I could see you needing twice as much pour capacity.

Pictures of this machine would be nice once you get it built.

I've changed my mind .

I've got me a quite large fire extinguisher at the local metal recycling plant wich I gutted and I'll use that as a crucible .
It'll fit my furnace and has enough capacity to hold the amount of metal I need .

So today I spend a couple of hours making more greensand , and tomorrow I'll make a flask large enough to hold the plate . So it'll be a closed mould after all .
Altough I still might justtry it out with an open mould to see what the result would be .

I think I will put a large raiser in the middle of the plate , probably 50mm ( 2inch ) diameter and 4 or 5 inches high , and second smaller one at one end with two gates towards the corners , and the ingate also with two gates towards the corners at the oppside side .

And then I'll just have to give it a go wont I :)

Here's how I made the greensand .

I went to a shop where they sell bricks and cement and stuff like that .
I got me a bag of what round here is called white sand .
It is used to fill the joints in outside stone pavements and it is a lot finer
then mansonry or concrete sand .
Fill in th egaps guy's , I don't know the exact terminology in english . :)

This sand is wet , so it was put on stainless trays in the sun an left to dry .
In wintertime I put the trays on the wood stove , in summertime the sun does it in a couple of hours .
Once dry , the sand can be poured like water .

Next I went to a garden centre and got me a box of bentonite clay .
They sell it in a closed plastic bucket . It is powdered , as dry as can be , and it's as fine as flour .

The dried sand and the powder clay were mixed in a 100 - 12 ratio by weight .
That is 100 kg or lbs or grams or whatever of dry whitesand to wich was added
12 kg or lbs or grams or whatever bentonite clay .
I used my wife's kitchen scale , don't tell her ;)

The sand/clay mixture was then put in an emty paint can , and shaken in a paint shaker for 3 minutes . The paint shaker was thrown away at a company where I do the maintenenace . Fixed it , and I've used it ever since .
All of the sand was mixed with clay like this .
When it comes out of the shaker it feels kinda warm .

Finally I added 7% weight of water for each 112% of mixture .
So I weight 2240 gramms of sand/clay mixture and added 140 gramms of water .
That's half a paint can , and it was shaken again for 3minutes .

The result is a very homogenous mixture wich is now left for a couple of day's to allow the clay to fully absorb the water .

green-1.jpg

green-2.jpg

green-3.jpg

green-4.jpg

Made a little progress today .

The pattern was made of mdf and glued together .
First a layer of latex or emulsion paint was used as a primer .
Then after a couple of day's it was sanded with a 400 grit paper .
Two layers of high gloss paint were then sprayed ( can ) on .
The high gloss is supposed to make the removal of the pattern easier , and stop the mdf from absorbing moist .

pattern_1.jpg

pattern_2.jpg

Then I also neededd a flask big enough to hold this pattern .

Easy enough , just screwed some wood together .

The flask has not to much depth , that is because my amount of moulding sand is not unlimited . ;)

I decided to add a bottom board wich wil be screwed to the flask after the ramming .
As the depth is pretty small compared to the with and lenght , I can imagine the sand
not holding when moving the mold .
The bottom board ought to add some stability .

When the mold is ready , both halfs wil be screwed together to avoid lifting of the upper half .

flask_1.jpg

flask_2.jpg

flask_3.jpg

I'm going to use a fire extinguisher as a crucible .
Got one at the metal recycling plant for free , as long as I didn't take an empty one .
They don't like handling containers under pressure , they're happy to get rid of them.

You could offcourse arm it and emty it , but that's such a mess .
I opened it , and poured the powder in a trash bag .
I've been told it makes a good parting agent but I'll stick to talcum powder .

So here's how I "defused " and unloaded the fire extinguisher .
This is the way I do it , use at your own risk .
This is for a powder extinguisher not for a CO2 .

First press the valve at the nozzle , just to make sure the tank is not under pressure .
Nothing should happen when you do so .

Then unscrew the top cap . Do not press the plunger or remove the safety .
The cap should almost unscrew manually or with very little force .
Remove and discard .

Now lift out the inner CO2 tank with its cup and in most cases a piece of tubing wich is there to direct the pressure to the bottom of the tank .

Inside the cup there's a nut wich secures the cup to the cilinder .
Remove the nut using two wrenches .
Never do this by holding the cilinder .
The nut to the cilinder joint must not be slackend in any way , no torque should be applied to the cilinder .

With the cup and tubing removed , now it's time to emty the cilinder .
Hold it secure , I do this in my 3 jaw chuck . I guess a v block or a vice with v jaws can also be used . Make sure it cannot move or rotate .
Now slacken the nut a tiny little bit until the gas starts to blow . It takes less than 1/4 turn . Wait , and allow it to empty .
As the carbon dioxide inside is liquid , it can take quite some time .
In the nut there's a little hole ( arrow ) , this is where the gas will come out , so make sure you don't get it in your face .
If it's empty remove the nut and check with your thumb that there's no residual pressure .
Now you can safely remove the cilinder from the chuck .

Finally a nice little cilinder remains wich can be used for something else .
It's designed to hold 30bar (400psi ) .
Inside the nut you can see the rupture disk , wich is punctured when the extinguisher is armed by pushing the button on the top cap .

fire_1.jpg

fire_2.jpg

fire_3.jpg

fire_4.jpg

fire_5.jpg

fire_6.jpg

A couple of pictures of the fire extinguisher crucible , and the lifters I made to handle it .

Second picture shows it in the furnace

crucible_1_r1.jpg

crucible_2.jpg

So this afternoon I started moulding , closed mould remember , and that didn't work out at all .

As soon as I lifted the cope , the sand simply collapsed and fell to the floor .
I even moulded some chicken wire in it to support the sand , but no avail .
I guess the surface to heigt ratio needs to be a lot bigger .

So , forget about the cope , but as my drag was still ok I decided to try that open mould after all .

Wich again went horribly wrong .
I calculated the volume of the pattern , then weighed some ingots to rougly determine
how much I needed to melt .... and forgot alum weighs almost twice as much as water .
So I melted nearly half of what I really needed .
Sigh

wrong.JPG

Back to the molding table .

A second attempt made , the rigt amount of material melted and this went very well .

I poured a little hotter then I would usually do ( I need a pyrometer if I'm gonna continue doing this ) and filled that mould till it almost overflow .
It didn't flow over , but the metal is certainly higher then the sand .

There's some shrinkage , but it's limited to a few mm (1/8" maybe ) .
I most certainly can live with that :thumbup:

I was afraid of cracks or large shrink holes , but no it didn't .

succes1.jpg

succes2.jpg

succes3.jpg

succes4.jpg

A couple of pictures of my furnace .

Put it on a lawmnmower chassis . Makes it easy to move it around .

For now propane as fuel , but I have the parts to build a waste oil burner .
Most likely when the propane tank is emty I'll build it .

The little blower is 95% chocked , otherwise it'll simply blow out the flame .
Someday a small 35watt 3 phase motor with a vfd will be installed .

furnace.JPG

furnace2.JPG

Finally , these are my "ingots" .

Buckets from a centrifuge that is used in a medical lab .

The company that sells these machines demands that the buckets be renewed every year , for warranty and safety reasons .
Must be a very good sales departement they have , I would never accept that if I were the purchase manager .
You don't want to know homuch they charge for one bucket .

But anyway , I have abt 50 of these buckes every year I have to discard .
They're exactly one kg ( 2.2Lbs ) , and it is a good quality of alum .
No cleaning , no sawing , just put them in a crucible and fire up the burner :)

ingots.JPG

megafuge.jpg

I put the casting on a scale . It weighs 9.65kg ( 20.5lbs ) .
I had melted 10 "ingots " , and there was some material left from the previous pour wich went wrong .
So that sounds about right .
A little dross , and some material left in the crucible .

Then I took some measurements . The pattern was 25mm ( 1") thick .
The casting measures 33.5mm( 1" 5/16 ) on the edges , and it's abt 6mm ( 1/4) thinner in the middle . Amazing that the liquid metal would be 8mm ( 5/16) above the sand and didn't pour over .

Anyway , at first sight I think after machining the excess material on the edges and truing up the surfaces I would have a plate more or less thesame dimension as my patttern .
Sweet :)

Casting was cleaned up today .

First I clamped it as good as I could to the table , and gave the t-slot side a light skim pass to remove the high spots and to create a flat surface .

Then I removed it , cleaned and degreased the mill table and put double stick tape
on it .
The skimmed casting was also degreased and put on the double stick tape .

Then I could start machining the other side , the side that was open when it was poured .

The final picture shows the finished bottom side .
The lines from the facemill are optical , an effect of the flash from the camera .
I can see them , but can't feel them .
A little sand paper ought to take care of that , or maybe a pass with a flycutter .

All in all I had to remove 5.5 mm , les then 1/4" to clean up the entire surface .
As the setup was with double stick tape , I took only light cuts . 11 passes of 0.5 mm .
The face mill is capable of much more , but I didn't trust the double stick tape enough to
take heavier cuts .

The first passes only cleaned up the edges .
It was fun to watch that shiny edge grow bigger as the depth of cut increased .

The material machines beautifully . Gives a shiny finish , even with my roughing facemill .

cleanup1.jpg

cleanup2.jpg

cleanup3.jpg

Back