ModeratorHMEM Supporting Member
- Jul 2, 2021
- Reaction score
I want to know about the pours where you DID kill yourself. How did they work out?
LOL, I got better.
What I meant was to avoid killing myself.
Summer pours here are very hot, since we often have 80-90% humidity, and 90-110 F temperatures in the summer.
So I generally keep a box fan right next to my chair, and sometimes don't put on full leathers until pour time.
Heat stroke is pretty much my biggest worry.
I have learned to preheat everything very hot, including ingot molds, scrap metal, skimming tools, and lifting tongs.
The way I got the burns below was I preheated an ingot mold using a propane burner, and that did not get the mold hot enough, so there was residual surface moisture on the mold.
When I poured into the mold, the iron popped back out, in a mini-explosion of sorts.
No big deal with a full face shield, helmet, leathers, etc., except a few molten beads of iron went down the gloves.
I think I posted these photos previously.
3rd degree burns in a few spots on the back of the hands.
Nothing to write home about.
I kept the Curaid Silver on it till it dried over in a few days, and eventually the scar tissue filled it all back in.
Someone watched one of my videos, and asked "Where are the fire extinguishers?".
I watched the same video and I could not spot one either.
I do keep a few extinguishers in the shop.
There is nothing really in the vicinity of the furnace area that will burner, other than perhaps the fuel lines.
Diesel is pretty tame stuff. You can drop lit matches into a jar of room-temperature diesel, and it will not light.
My burner is extremely stable, and so I never have a flame-out.
One guy did melt his fuel line, and had a large puddle of flame on the ground.
Diesel just does not catch fire in a puddle very easily.
Kerosene is much more volatile, and you have to be a bit more careful with that fuel.
Kerosene is like gold around this area for some reason, and so I use diesel.
Molten iron is about 2,400-2,500 F, and so it does a lot of damage quickly.
Skin burns are annoying.
The good thing is all the nerve endings are vaporized, and so there is no pain.
I wear a full face sheild mounted on a hardhat, and safety glasses under the face shield.
Eye burns would not be fun.