Onward, ever onward

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good, Tel. Starting to get an idea of how things are going to work, now!

Dean

Thanks blokes.

Yes Jim, I'm more or less working in imperial myself, as well as the x1.5 size and reworking some parts as I go along.

I seem to be spending a disproportionate amount of time on these beams, but as they are such prominent features I want to get 'em pretty right.

So the paint in the recesses looks like taking forever to dry, so I'm held up. Make a start on the crank arms. I wanted to do these in cast iron, but no suitable bar about, so ....

.. a slice of 3" bar and some creative bandsawing,

.... gives us a nice little block to make the bits out of

This is a turning fixture, I have accumulated several of these over the years, it will come into play shortly.

It isnt always about 'the most convenient' way, its about making do with whats available, this is exactly what got me into casting in the first place (was that really 1983? wow).

Looking good bloke, you certainly dont muck around..... I do enjoy your no bullsxxx posts. After the success of your twin I would think you could have been forgiven for takling a rest and basking some.... but nooooo.... Onward, ever onward....

Artie 8)

OK, with the block still in one piece the various holes are dealt with

And then sawn from the 'parent'. The top hat bush in the foreground is an adaptor to fit the blocks to the turning fixture - it kills two, nay three, birds with one stone - takes up the difference between the 4mm screw in the fitting and the 5/16" hole in the block, holds the block to the fixture and serves as a guide for the turning.

A block is mounted on the fixture

and half the thickness turned away

One down, one to go

Now out with the trusty file -

We still have the crank pin ends to deal with, which will involve another bush and more filing - perhaps tomorrow.

Tel,
A few pictures definitely are worth thousands of words. Kudos for seeing those two parts in that hunk of metal and then getting them out.
Dennis

That's a dandy little fixture you made for turning the bosses on those pieces, Tel.
Thanks for the pics!

Dean

The second bush, actually just a filing button with a c/s 4BA clearing hole....

..is screwed into place on one of the embryo arms ...

.... and the profile filed to shape.

Only had time to do one this morning.

Pretty much a lost weekend as far as progress goes. Got the crank arms finished

.. and put on a couple of rough, temporary rods to check clearances etc. At thi stage we have a rather elaborate finger engine ;D

Made a start on the real rods

tel, she is lookin real good!!! I have the HSM plans for this engine and have thought about going 2X size with it. It has interesting mechanical movement and should be an eye grabber.

Greg

Thanks blokes. x2 would make for a pretty impressive engine with scope for lots of extra detail Greg - go for it.

A modest start on the cylinder

it's coming out pretty well, a very beautiful engine!

Tel you're a master with the files, those rounded edge are perfect :bow:

Looking good, Tel. You do have a knack for making it all appear so easy....(grin).

Steve

:bow: :bow:

The master at work....can't beat it!

(and that turning fixture is a bloody great tip!)

Looks good mate. It seems that you are destined to be inconvenienced this year. Your second bout of bushfires. How close is this lot? Not right on your doorstep I hope..... :-[

Nice Tel!.....glad you demonstrated the filing buttons for everyone!

Dave

Artie said:
Looks good mate. It seems that you are destined to be inconvenienced this year. Your second bout of bushfires. How close is this lot? Not right on your doorstep I hope..... :-[

The Rockley Mount fire is about 3km away, as the crow flies - been a bit of a worry all night, but the wind is somewhat in our favour and it's burning more across us than towards. Last (oral) report is that they think they have it under control, but the roads are still closed and large policemen are enforcing the closures. To top it off, the fire bought down the power lines last night, so we were without electrickerty until the early hours of the am.

Best wishes bloke. Aus hasnt been the nicest place for bushfires of late.....

Latest posts

Back