Onward, ever onward

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel

Reaction score
OK, with the double diagonal stabled, awaiting paint and polish, it's time to move along. I have an idea festering in my brain cell, but not ready to commit to it yet, so as a 'filler' I've started on Mogens' side beam engine, albeit at 1.5 scale and with modifications.

Base and columns

Column top

Bottom section of main bearings

Partly done mains, with a bit of crankshaft material shoved through

A closer look at the mains

Which brings us up to this afternoon, when I started on the flywheel - my usual 3 piece construction

And hung it in the mains for a look-see!

Wish i had time for "filler" projects like this!!

Starting to look very good Tel!
Love the flywheel!
:)

That looks like a great start. I will be following along as I do on a lot of others and add this to my list of things to do. Thanks for posting it.

I started on the flywheel - my usual 3 piece construction

Tel,
Have you told us about this? I've been looking through your posts hoping to find something, but I must be missing it. Can you show a link, or tell me which project you talked about it on?
Regards,
Dennis

P.S. Great start on the "filler" project. Looking forward to seeing more.

I did post the below on the Double Diagonal thread, but didn't really go into the making of it. Might be worth doing a short thread on the matter.

Zee, I just bolted two short pieces of hex to the ends for indexing purposes, grabbed 'em, in turn, in the vise, and ran along 'em with a ball nosed end mill.

bits.jpg

Tel,
I for one, wouldn't mind seeing a short thread on your flywheel. Now that I see the picture I can see I already made a couple of incorrect assumptions on your method. Flywheels and different ways of making them are always of interest.
Dennis

We had company today, so no chance to do much on the engine, other than start on the clean up of the flywheel

Not a lot of progress today either. but I did get a pair of oil cups made and fitted to the mains

Saw the thread, duly noted and filed (uhm... might need prompting as to exactly WHERE it is filed ... but...) Tah mate... well received as need similar soon...

R

Looks good Tel, really nice job on the flywheel.

You really do make it look easy Tel ;D

Top class feller 8)

CC

tel said:
Not a lot of progress today either. but I did get a pair of oil cups made and fitted to the mains

So that is what the freaking oil cups do! And I was scratching my head scratch.gif over your previous post :hDe: ...

The beams roughed out

.. and hung on the engine for a look.

Looking good bloke... but.... the bush fire isnt a problem for you is it?

No fire problem yet, but they are bad to the West, North and East of us. Closed big fire is probably 50 km away, tho' we've had some little ones locally

;D Good luck mate.... loks like its a bad year already.....

Looks really good Tel. After I finish the project I am working on would love to build one of these. Just have to change it all to imp measurements. To old to change to metric now.

JimN

Back