Onward, ever onward

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bell cranks are everywhere matey, we just tend not to think of them as such. I'd hate to have to count how many you'd find on the average ottermobile.

tel said:
Thanks Bob, I know wot you mean tho' - some days down the 12 steps of the spiral stairs to mine seems too far away. ;)

Well Tel, in the same amount of space as the spiral staircase you could build a nice little elevator. Sure would help with the stairs problem and you wouldn't be the first to do it. Back in the '50s the gentelman that owned the local garage build an elevator so that his dad could get to the living quarters above the garage. Last that I had heard, the old gentelman had passed on but the elevator was still there and working. :)

Cheers :)

Don

;D Not quite the same ambiance tho', is there Don? I have been seriously considering doing one for 'inside' access when time and funds permit - BUT I gotta winkle a bit of floor space from the manager first.

Added a few more bits this morning - pretty much to the stage where there's only the valve gear to go.

With Zee confessing ignorance of bell cranks, and as I am up to making one, I feel a mini tutorial coming on .... we'll call it ....

Making an Offset Bell Crank

Remember this bit of stuff? It was left over from making the crank arms - it hasn't finished being cranky yet.

the basic crank is marked out on it

Then I milled a bit of the round 'side' to facilitate
holding in the vise, and milled the back of the first arm.

Then drill the holes

Then it was roughed out on the bandsaw and cleaned up a bit on the mill

.. and transferred to the trusty turning fixture

and the boss turned until the remainder way 2 arms thick

Then each arm was grabbed in turn it the bench vise and half the thickness filed off the appropriate side.

Still a little cosmetic work required, but there it is - mucho simple.

... and the cosmetic work is coming along.

I didn't say it was a big bell crank!

Time for a real newbie question !

When you turn the boss down how do you attack the piece. Do you come in from the side as in a normal turning operation or from the end like in a facing cut (sure there's proper terminology that should be used here radially/axially ??)

Cheers

Jim

Depends on the circumstances a bit Jim, but normally I come at it with a facing cut. at least until I have enough 'boss' established to work with.

Oh yes, second only to the :bow: Guinness :bow:

Just a quick update, to drag this thread back to page one. Haven't had a lot of time over the Festive Season, but I'm now down to the fiddly little bits and not too many of those to go. Made the slide valve today, should only have the nut, spindle and spindle gland to go. Running by next weekend? I'd like to think so.

Congratulations, Tel. Way to go!

th_wav

Lots of interesting motions there to entertain the eye!

Another nice build there, Tel. You sure seem to have a way with metal!

Chuck

Thanks blokes, it's certainly interesting to watch run - seems to be bits going in all directions.

Great build tel. :bow: :bow:

More movements than a swiss watch. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

Tel,
That is a mesmerizing engine and an excellent build!

Thanks for the video,

Sean

Very Nice Tel. Thm: Thm:
Gail in NM

Back