OILITE/SELF-LUBRICATING BUSHINGS for CYLINDERS

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxFigs

Reaction score
Can Oilite, and bronze bushings be used as cylinders when building small compressed-air engines? If yes, what material for the pistons?

Or, can Oilite bushings be used as a piston, and run against a mild steel/stainless steel cylinders for C-Air and Flame-Eater engines?

Just asking.

Frank

oillite is porous the pores are designed to hold oil and allow oil to flow into the bearing surface.
turning oillite at too high a speed and centrifical force slings the oil out.

in a cylinder air pressure is what makes the engine work. IMHO the pressure would tend to push the oil out of the bronze.

in a double acting engine it may be ok for a piston.

I have never heard of anyone using oillite fo pistons or cyinders.
Tin

Also never attempt to lap oilite . the grit gets in the pores and stays there then wears away at the shaft.
tin

Tin---This thread does raise an interesting question. I agree with everything you have said.--And yet---If the bushing was encased in a piece of thin-wall steel tubing which was for all intents and purposes air tight, you would end up with a self lubricating cylinder. The ends of the steel tube would have to be capped at one end with a gland at the other, but still----its an interesting thought.---Brian

If you have a run on this stuff try it out and tell us how it goes!

weird things would probably happen... do it!!

pistons would probably be easier than cylinders.

however you can't lap, grind, hone or use dull cutting tools with this stuff. that would make the fitting very hard.

say like bronze piston skirt with maybe a steel cap threaded in? running in a steel or iron sleeve?

Interesting answers. My original thoughts were for using Oilite for pistons, but now it has been noted that there is no way to grind, lap or hone this alloy, so, that's that.

But wait....if you make pistons from this alloy, can you not just hone a cylinder to correctly fit the pistons? For example: Oilite pistons running inside a steel cylinder, that has been honed and lapped for the correct clearances? Would you still need rings?

Remember, for.... Compressed-Air/Flame-Eater engines....not, I.C. engines.

Frank

Use cast iron instead. It is self lubricating - to an extent.
Or make a graphite piston like many Stirling engines use., so i am sure it would work for and air engine or flame licker.

You cant really machine Oilite, it just sort of smears the little sintered particles.

Very good information. Difficult/impossible to machine without problems, smears, and then at best, loads with grit and honing/lapping abrasives.

Thanks. You all saved me some grief and aggravation.

Frank

the problem here is that the honing will smear metal over the pores and close them, and then you got regular bronze bearings.

you could probably turn the piston and hone the cylinder to fit as pointed out.

EDIT: well, looks like someone beat me to it. :D

Latest posts

Back