Now who planing next year Christmas

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmithDoor

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Who is planing on make Christmas gifts use your hobby tools
I am looking for items to make.

Dave

Here is a couple of gifts from Xmas Past.
This is a puzzle, it has 7 pieces, SS and about 8 hours of work, The joy was in the giving, and finding out my BIL worked on it for 3 days before he got it.
corlissproject046.jpg

This is a Cannon which fires 10ga BP Blanks, I made a second on for my brother, but left the ouside turning undone, I just bored it, and made and threaded the muzzle and breech pieces. He needed a project. SS 2.75"D

allphoto102011276.jpg

Last edited:
This an open ended question with possibly hundreds of answers. As gordon suggested maybe more information to narrow the parameters.

I have done Pen and pencil sets for adults and late teens. Brass candle sticks from castings for the wife.

have made but not gifted doll house miniature candle sticks.

thumb2_candlestick.JPG

Rudy Kouhoupt had nutcracker plans out. guys have made burr puzzles.
I have made and gifted iron scroll shelves for wedding gifts.

DSCI0008-1.jpg

And you can always make a model steam engine!!!!!!!!

Tin

I do know there are hundreds of possibility. All life I just went out and purchase gift never thought making till my wife ask about making gift. Now what, let go for thousand of possibility's. I will narrow by say no fireares and no machinist tools. But they can be made using machine tools or wood tools.

Dave

This an open ended question with possibly hundreds of answers. As gordon suggested maybe more information to narrow the parameters.

I have done Pen and pencil sets for adults and late teens. Brass candle sticks from castings for the wife.

have made but not gifted doll house miniature candle sticks.

thumb2_candlestick.JPG

Rudy Kouhoupt had nutcracker plans out. guys have made burr puzzles.
I have made and gifted iron scroll shelves for wedding gifts.

DSCI0008-1.jpg

And you can always make a model steam engine!!!!!!!!

Tin

I've made a finger treadle 'engine' for my Dad, just need to pretty it up before I give it to him. My wife likes it that much that I'll have to make one for her birthday too!

Thank you Tin site look good
I will post all that find later next year for ever one to use for gifts.

Dave

Thanks Tin. You've given me the kick in the pants I needed to take the plunge and give it a go. I'll be ordering my parts today.

cogsy:

You are welcome all I did was show a very fuzzy photo of a tidbit of my work( I probably have made something near a hundred sets over the years, lost count)
and did a google search for pen kits in Australia. Something you could have done.
but looking forward to the results.

a few hints
1) do not drill thought the corian. drill mostly through then cut off the end of the blank. Parbolic bits are great here deep hole application.

2) care and slow feed near the end of a cut on the lathe and not too deep .
3) debur ,very slight radius on the edges of the decorative tube . let the wife feel the parts before assembly
a good pen feels good in the hand . sharp edges of the parts do not feel good.
Any questions ask.

Smith hope you do not feel I am hijacking here . figure these tips will help you if you do pens as well.
Tin

Here is a couple of gifts from Xmas Past.
This is a puzzle, it has 7 pieces, SS and about 8 hours of work, The joy was in the giving, and finding out my BIL worked on it for 3 days before he got it.
corlissproject046.jpg

This is a Cannon which fires 10ga BP Blanks, I made a second on for my brother, but left the ouside turning undone, I just bored it, and made and threaded the muzzle and breech pieces. He needed a project. SS 2.75"D

allphoto102011276.jpg

I love your cannon, well done. Wish I had the skill to do this.
Would I be able to have the plans for the puzzle please.

Actualy never heard of the freedom pens project http://freedompens.org/
but just checked out there web site. I need to make a few pens again has been a while.

I made for family and friends as gifts and sold some to pay for supplies. the ones I made pretty well paid for my original shop equipment mini lathe belt sander and band saw.
Tin

Do you have photos of making the pens and how does it take.

Dave

Actualy never heard of the freedom pens project http://freedompens.org/
but just checked out there web site. I need to make a few pens again has been a while.

I made for family and friends as gifts and sold some to pay for supplies. the ones I made pretty well paid for my original shop equipment mini lathe belt sander and band saw.
Tin

A couple of years ago I did 4 in 1 screwdrivers with turned handles.
kind of like this

34890-05-500.jpg

photo from rockler . they have kits others may as well.
Tin

Latest posts

Back