Not sure what to think....

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wareagle

Reaction score
I didn't win this nor did I even have any interest in buying these, but I was a bit shocked at what this went for! What to y'all think???

Stuart stuff is expensive, there's no two ways about that, but given there are two Suns in that package, an engine that has been out of production for quite a few years, it's probably pretty reasonable - waaaay beyond my budget, but reasonable.

current Stuart pre-machined kits go for 310 - 1000 GBP each. there were two there. Ebay is fickle somtimes stuff goes cheap other times high you never know til the action is over.
Tin

About 340 UKP for two, that doesn't sound bad to me.
Probably what clinches it is the fact they are already in the US.
Buy these off Ebay.co.uk and you are talking money to ship these Stateside and they probably won't go into Canada given them have an import restriction of 2Kg from the UK, not us it's the Canadian side.

Don't know what it costs to ship from the US to Canada but it's probably more reasonable.

John: Can you elaborate a bit on the 2 kg weight limit to Canada from the UK? Does this apply and only apply to parcel post at the Post Office?

I send and receive a lot of parcels between the US and Canada and find they have a category for almost anything if you pay the price. I have seen ads from the UK that interested me but couldn't find any shipping info.

The 2Kg limit applies to the Post Office and Parcel Force which is the parcels side of the PO.
After 2 Kg you have to go courier. It even applies to sea shipments ???

Ower Gert has a web based shop and an Ebay shop and Canada is a problem to her if she can't split the shipment she refuses to send it.
I know it's unfair but Canada is a problem from here. We have had loads of stuff go missing and I don't believe for a minute it's the customer trying it on as we have no problems, or very few to other countries and we are selling to the same type of person.

My daughter used to sell costume jewelery and if it went to Canada and was marked jewelery it went missing, mark it as trade sample and it got there.

Tin Falcon said:
current Stuart pre-machined kits go for 310 - 1000 GBP each.

Crikey .. Got a kit of umachined castings for a Stuart 9 when I bought the Myford S7 .. just bits in a cardboard box, came with all the oddments I cleared for the widow.

Now 335 GBP it seems.

No idea they were worth that much :-[

Dave

John Stevenson said:
The 2Kg limit applies to the Post Office and Parcel Force which is the parcels side of the PO.
After 2 Kg you have to go courier. It even applies to sea shipments ???

Ower Gert has a web based shop and an Ebay shop and Canada is a problem to her if she can't split the shipment she refuses to send it.
I know it's unfair but Canada is a problem from here. We have had loads of stuff go missing and I don't believe for a minute it's the customer trying it on as we have no problems, or very few to other countries and we are selling to the same type of person.

My daughter used to sell costume jewelery and if it went to Canada and was marked jewelery it went missing, mark it as trade sample and it got there.

We have a lot of crooked buggers here, and about half of them work for Canada Post---

Its a shame when you have to resort to mislabeling to increase the odds that a parcel will find its intended destination. :eek:

Back to the price of the auction, I really haven't followed the prices for these kits very close. When I first started watcing it, it was around $40 or so. That was early in the auction and I decided to watch this one out of curiosity. It is sometimes surprising how things on Ebay will make a dramitic increase in price before the end of the auction. I thought this item would got for $300-350. Boy, was I wrong!!!!

Just shows you how "in touch" I am with model casting prices. ::)

Some people collect old Stuart Turner (pre Stuart) casting kits just as they are and not for building, rare ones fetch a high price.

These appear to have been sold by a member of this group, go have a look at the Buy, Sell, Trade, E bay section

Back