Not an engine but a creation that works

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrewCab

Reaction score
Not started an engine yet but to help get used to the equipment I've made a couple of bits, so far the net result (apart from lots of swarf) is a new tool post for the lathe and a ball turning tool ........... it's not the prettiest thing you ever saw but it works :D ;D

DSCF3545.jpg

DSCF3549600x541.jpg

Must admit I've enjoyed doing it and I've learnt a lot so far .......... particularly about broken taps :wall:

At the last stage I broke a 4mm tap in the hole to mount the carbide tip, after twisting, turning, heating, freezing, cursing .......... and even talking nicely to it ........ the tap won ::)

.......... not having any more plate available I gave up for now ......... then it eventually dawned on me that the part is "L" shaped ............ so I turned it over and machined the other end 8)

Thanks to Marv and Ralph for the assistance, I used a 3.5mm hole this time ;)

CC

CC,
Congratulations on completing what I'm sure will be a very useful tool. Is this the same design that Ralph has been using?

I'm curious, though. How do you set a precise radius with it?

Yes it's based on the same design to the one Ralph uses, (by Steve Bedair)

Mine's similar but it shrunk a little during the manufacturing process ......... due to "user error" .......... but it seems to do the job.

Here it is "Blinged up" a little ............ thought I'd better tidy it up a little or John and Ralph will be on my case :D ;D

DSCF3568.jpg

I believe if you scribe a line representing the centre of the turner you can then set the position of the cutting tip reasonably accurately with a square and ruler, not exactly to the nearest "thou" but should be close enough for my needs. ;D

There is a picture of one on Steve Bedair's site with a ruler on the base which would seem like a worthwhile improvement in the future.

For the moment there are a couple of "snagging items" to sort out and eventually make a new centre post, so I can ditch the one with the broken tap in ???

atb

CC

Must be the month for makin' those - I did one as well. The best so far in a growing collection of ball turners.

balltool.jpg

Thanks guys.

I suspect I have another tool build coming up soon.

yes, by bringing the cutter forward of the centre line.

Ahh CC, I see you have not only started your styling career but you have advanced on here further than me.... I haven't a clue how you put those links in!? ???

But if I may to help answer a few questions asked.... add this, we all spent a long time discussing this and it would seem a bit of a waste to write it all out again!!
I remembered explaining it so I'll paste that page link here to help ;D If you read the whole post you might learn a great deal from all the discussions....

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1721.45

Ralph.

Divided He ad said:
.... I haven't a clue how you put those links in!? ???

Don't worry Ralph, I'm sure you'll figure it out in no time 8)

CC

Well CC, I think you are right... since I seem to have had a visit from the PM fairy!! :big:

Not that I'm calling any one a fairy! ;D

try this

Ralph.

I love it when a plan comes together ;D :big: ;D

>>> ;) <<<

CC

Back