noise with sherline mill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonsteam

Reaction score
As I was using a 3/8 end mill, I noticed a grinding or vibrating sound as I was turning the x-axis handle. It doesn't always make the sound, and I thought it might be the bit chattering, but it still made the sound after I had the material out from under the bit. When I stop turning the hand wheel, the sound stops. The wheel is not any harder to turn. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks,

Mike

The noise is from the leadscrew in the handle area? Manual Sherline mill, or a manual-but-CNC-ready Sherline mill? The all-manual models don't have bearings on the leadscrews, since they won't see and high-speed cranking. Spray that round leadscrew mount from underneath, where the leadscrew exits it, with a light oil or the Sherline-suggested teflon spray.

The only other miserable noise I've had from mine was when the spindle drive pulley worked loose recently.

It is a model 5400 manual mill. I ordered some of the sherline teflon spray,and I will try it when it arrives. It is hard to tell exactly where the noise originates. It's kind of a vibrating, or grinding sound. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks,

Mike

You might check if your handle (as opposed to the bearing surface) is rubbing on the leadscrew support, or it a little piece of swarf got in between. I have one handle on my Sherline 2000 mill that made the same sound you describe. I assume you have resetable zero handles? The Sherline 2000 I've got has DRO handles, but you could still have rubbing or swarf in there. If you feel up to it remove the handle and check for rubbing marks. Check to make sure the leadscrew support is secure while you are at it.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

Russ

Russel's suggestion is a lot better'n mine. ;D

The mill is equipped with a DRO, there are little clamps that are next to the hand wheel. These clamps have leads that go to the DRO. Could this be the source of the noise?

Thanks,

Mike

That could be it. On my mill, the plastic DRO housing rubs just a little on the red handle wheel. I was wondering the same thing you are and pulled the whole thing apart. When I discovered the handle was rubbing on the DRO sensor housing, I was relieved. It doesn't sound smooth all the time, but it isn't a bearing surface grinding. I did however discover the leadscrew support was loose. If you try to wiggle you hand wheel side to side and there is excessive play compaired to the others, you might want to check if the leadscrew support is loose.

If you follow the link, the part that was loose was number 40280 or 50280 depending upon X or Y Axis knobs.

http://sherline.com/MillExPN.pdf

Latest posts

Back