No lathe or mill just using what I have

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the leg operation is ok, don't worry about the delay, we can wait. This is an interesting thread and I will still be here.

Jim

Today is a good day. The Leg is coming along well and I should be moving around better in a week or two.
I wanted to let everyone know that the wheels on the 1886 are a product of my younger brother. I sent him a drawing of a tool I needed him to make and send back to me. He lives in Ferndale, WA however, he sent the finished wheels back and said he had a great time making them.
I also talked to my brother in law in Texas asking him if he had some small pieces of brass I use on the engine. It is not going to be a runner but I wanted to have the flywheel, crank, and piston move. Well, he too asked for the dimentions and when I sent him the drawings I made up. Well, what a nice job he did on an old over head belt drive South Bend. His dad purchased it back in 1950 and it is still in the family.
Each wanted to help as I can not get much done right now.
Thank you both for the nice work.

Piston, Rod, and Cylinder.jpg

TodayI started working on the 1886 Benz. It sat for a couple of weeks due to my legrecovering. I added the forward and braking rod. Making the bushings and clampswent well.

Ialso added the seat risers and springs. This was a challenge. The 2MM boltswere hard to put in and tighten with a file and needle nose piles. I will begetting some small tools once I get back home. .

My hats off to all you outthere doing such fine work with bolts so small.

Sorry all the photos have notcaptions. I am still learning this posting stuff. Thank you

IMG_20121213_105458_767[1].jpg

IMG_20121216_163945_737[1].jpg

IMG_20121216_182113_393[1].jpg

IMG_20121215_194302_847[1].jpg

Last night I did some work on the 1886, although the seat is not finished itis coming along. In the one photo you can see part of the engine and flywheelin place. Well, sitting on the chassis that is.

I have some tweaking to do with the seat and will get the pillow block bearingsfinished for the transmission.

May each great machinist out there, have a very Merry Christmas.

Seat 1.jpg

Seat 2.jpg

That is one of my indian paintings in the background. Did not notice it when I took the photo.

Hello All,
Today, I finished the seat cushion on the 1886. Had a time of it getting thelittle buckles fastened? Still have some back supports to install and the armrests.

I also finished the pillow block bearings for the transmission mounts. Thetransmission is only a couple of smooth pulleys the belt rides on, onetransmits power to the drive chain shaft and the other spins free when the beltis moved over to it. Photo is kind of blurry.

Thank you for looking.

IMG_20121226_175210_297.jpg

Trans Bearing.jpg

Today I started finishing up the steering parts. Built the tiller tower and slide plate. Kind of fun filing the parts, guess I should buy a small vise to help. I am going to finish up the tiller steering handle sometime this weekend. I have to work.

Thanks for looking

IMG_20130104_131433_495.jpg

IMG_20130104_131504_054.jpg

IMG_20130104_180403_543.jpg

Looking real good Danny
Pete

Good day,
Yesterday and today after work I started on the crankshaft. A local machine shop gave me some brass plate. Said if I could cut it I could have it. Well, never look a gift horse in the mouth.
I had to buy a small vise I could clamp on the TV tray. The plyers were just a bit hard to hold onto everything. It took some elbow grease to get the counterweights cut and som filing to clean them up.
I am now going to start on the mains and try and finish up the engine. Of course it will never run. But, I hope it looks ok once complete.

Thank you for looking

Crankshaft Materal.jpg

Cutting Counterweights.jpg

Have some clean up to do.jpg

Cut out at last.jpg

Crank with piston.jpg

Well, I goofed up tonight. I had to take the crank apart to clean up come material and if you look at the photo of the piston and crank sitting on the TV tray you will notice I put the pin on the main and the main on the throw. Well, tomorrow night I will be taking it apart once again and fixing the mistake.
Long days at work and wanting to get somethings done may not be the best.
Take care all.

You are not the first person to make that sort of error. And the whole job is coming along nicely.
I am amazed at what you are achieving with such limited resources.

Jim

Jim, thank you. I have been working hard to make it work or at least look the part.

Hello everyone,

I did some work on the 1886 engine yesterday and today. I sure wish I couldget home and have access to at least my drill press. I am going to pick up alathe as soon as I can once I get home.

I mounted the main bearing supports, crankshaft, and flywheel. I am surpriseit spins over. I have to get some 2MM bolts and nuts. I ran out and the temporallybolts are just to hold it no for now.
I even had to set the engine in the motor wagon to see how it was going tolook. I believe I have the scale right. Making plans as you go from photos is atricky thing at best.

Yep, that is one of my medican bottle supporting the engine for now.
Thank you for looking.

IMG_20130120_184957_893.jpg

IMG_20130120_185057_452.jpg

IMG_20130120_185343_386.jpg

It's amazing what you are accomplishing with your simple tools and major determination.

With the parts looking so good - the final assembly is going to be awesome.

Really appreciate you sharing your adventure with us.

Thanks for the kind words. this site is great. Here is a 1/2 1929 T Bucket I built for my grandkids. It runs on a 28 HP V twin with a 6 speed transmission. I know it is not an engine build but wanted to share some of what I do when I am home back in Texas. I will have more photos of the 1886 as it comes together.
do you need a grand sonRof}Rof}
awsome workThm:

Hello,

After a few attempts, I got the camshaft/drive shaft installed. Took a fewtries and broke my 2mm drill bit and tap. I have to drill 3 more mountingstuds. Drilling and tapping the cap studs is one of the hardest challenges asthey are so tiny. There is clean it up with a file here and there and buffingthe brass some, but over all I should look good once I finish and mount it onthe 1886. I have included the progress photos from cutting the flat stock tothe end.

Hope the photos make sense. Thank you for all the very nice comments. Ilearned things looking and reading everyone’s great projects that I would havehad a even harder time getting this as far along as it is.

I am going to try and finish it before March; I will be going home to see mywife and would like to take it with me. She wants to keep this one. I gave mybrother the 1915 Speedster.
I am going on way to long, you guys here aregreat inspiration

IMG_20130124_150555_397.jpg

IMG_20130124_160655_002.jpg

IMG_20130124_204334_725 (4).jpg

IMG_20130124_204520_871.jpg

Thank you Jim,
Tonight I took a break from the engine, broke the last drill bit and awaiting a mail delivery. I turned to the chassis to correct some things i did not like and adding some new parts.
More photos as progress moven on.

Well, did not get the drill bit and tap for the engine. I am headed home to Texas for 3 weeks to visit my wife. The progress on the 1886 Benz is at a stand still for awhile. I did mount the engine and stared the floor. I did finish the steering tiller and the forward brake lever.
Thank you for looking.
From Alaska and Texas, Later

IMG_20130224_184939_842.jpg

IMG_20130224_185012_683.jpg

IMG_20130224_184955_238.jpg

Latest posts

Back