No 1 or is it #25

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minerva

Reaction score
Well guys the time has come for my first engine project to get under way!

I was given the plans about a month ago by a friend and have with your help identified said plans as an Elmers #25. Now I feel sure that many of you old hands will identify with many of my misgivings but only time will tell if this is a good starting point. I intend to use this project as a means whereby a "good" approach strategy to building may be formulated and adopted, so with this in mind here goes and forgive the ramblings!
It goes without saying "Please feel free to comment/criticize or suggest for future reference any better methods.
Examination of the plans quickly revealed the first snag , being drawn in Imperial dimensions all of the threads specified are non -existant in my workshop so a snap decision was made to covert all #5-40, and #2-56 threads to 3mm coarse (I have a boxful of metric cap-head screws on the shelf as well as the requisite taps and dies) although I will work in Imperial as far as the main dimensions are concerned .
The plans show 11 engine component parts + a jig for drilling the inlet and exhaust ports and an associated locating pin, also listed is a spring and a nut to restrain said spring on to the pivot.
As is my habit when modelling (boats) I made detailed individual c**p-o-cad drawings of each component . (I have a chalkboard slate for this purpose )This may for many of you seem OTT but I find it helps "fix" each bit in my mind and often throws up potential snags that might be encountered whilst manufacturing.
The Frame was the first component to be tackled and in the absence of a mill at the time it was made by hand, fairly straight forward to fabricate from the drawing, I filed the top of the frame flat and square and used this surface as a reference to mark out using a height gauge the operating centre line for the pivot and bearing, all the holes were drilled using the drill press (still no mill at this stage) and both sides flatted (using wet n dry on my new ref. surface) and polished.
(The material available was 3/8" not 1/4" thick as specified and make a mental note that the crankshaft and bearing dimensions must be modified to allow for the substitution).
I find that the "handwork" exercise not only very satisfying but keeps the skills acquired so long ago, alive, as well as providing exercise ( a lot better than jogging!).
Next operation with a little time to spare (out of sequence with instruction sheet but with the mill imminent shouldn't make much difference.) was to turn and fit the bearing from an off cut of bronze (I think it's been in my oddments box for 40 yrs+ in the knowledge "it will come in handy someday" and the end result is shown below

framebaseandbearing.jpg

Some observations...

You'll see Elmer (and others) using 5-40 threads often because the major diameter of a #5 screw is 0.60 + 5*0.013 = 0.125" so a stock 1/8" rod can be threaded directly with no need to turn it down. (Similarly, a #10 has a major diameter of 0.19" so 3/16" rod can be directly threaded without modification.) Substituting reasonable alternative sizes is almost always permissible.

It almost certainly won't matter on this engine, but, when substituting metric bolts for Imperial, stay aware of the sizes of the heads of the bolts. If the bolt head will be close to some feature of the engine, the difference in head sizes can cause interference problems. DAMHIKT. The same remark applies to nut sizes when studs are used.

It's your call, but I wouldn't start blinging parts until the engine is assembled and working. For an oscillator, you want the two surfaces where the cylinder oscillates against the frame to be dead flat and smooth. Over-energetic polishing might affect that. Furthermore, a slight texture to these surfaces helps to retain oil and allow the parts to move more freely.

This was the first engine I built. I used aluminum for the flywheel and it simply wasn't enough moment of inertia for this small engine. Later I replaced it with a steel flywheel and it ran much better. Use brass or steel for your flywheel.

One tip from a newb. I started to make the marking jig for this engine and gave up. Instead, I turned a sharp point on a small rod that fit neatly into the hole in the cylinder head. Then assembled the whole thing and that pointed rod was used like a scriber to draw a nice arc on the frame as the flywheel was turned by hand. Then just drill the holes into the frame as needed.

Marv
thank you for your observations and comments all of which I value.
The observations re the various thread sizes are taken on board but as you say for the three small bolts involved here I don't think they will make much difference (I had planned to change 1/8" to 3mm for the pivot) but I can see where you are coming from re interference on more intricate models.Also I suspect the question of scale would arise in the eye of the purist but for now the 3mm socket head bolts will have to do. It is not evident from the pic but I did pay heed to the notes and left the surface flatted awaiting the fitting of the cylinder at some later stage. Sadly within the last hour I completed the flywheel as marked on the plan (in aluminium) so it looks as tho' I will have to repeat the exercise tomorrow when I had planned to make a start on the cylinder!

winklmj
can see the alternate strategy makes sense. Why did you give up on the jig and setting button?
Regards
TerryT

Go ahead with the cylinder and try the aluminum flywheel. The engine will probably run with it, though poorly. Make a brass or steel one later.

Save the aluminum flywheel. Someday you're going to need a nice finger wheel for something and you can pull it out of the recycle bin and use it.

I would go with the drill jig. It not only sets the holes on their proper radius but also places them at the proper distances from the centerline.

well guys another day another $.... I'm sure you know what I mean
from my last post you will have gathered that the fly wheel is now complete (albeit in the wrong material thanks Marv your timings immaculate! ) but it will have to do for now until I can get some suitable steel. Today I made the drilling jig with its associated setting button and also the slug to be used when I solder the pivot to the cylinder block

P5110421.jpg

The next job was the cylinder this was to be the first component to be manufactured on my new mill, the rectangular block was machined from a piece of round stock that I had laying about. This proved to be an interesting exercise which went a long way towards verifying the machines inherent accuracy the resulting block was duly marked out from the drawing.
I personally use a reference plate and a small (4") height gauge which has the facility to convert from metric to decimal to fractions for marking out and find it a lot quicker than some of the old methods.(just an opinion)
Having marked out I set the blank up in the four jaw with the bore centre on centre and drilled /bored out as per the drawing.
The hole to take the pivot and inlet/exhaust were then drilled out.

P5040387.jpg

At this juncture I will apologize if some of my photos are not up to scratch but the learning curve associated with my new camera is something else and the flash set up seems to have a mind of its own!

I finally manufactured the crankshaft and the next shots shows the flywheel and crank

P5110414.jpg

tomorrow I hope to finish the cylinder and the odds and ends associated with it

At this juncture I will apologize if some of my photos are not up to scratch but the learning curve associated with my new camera is something else and the flash set up seems to have a mind of its own!

No need to apologize. Your photos look fine, as do the parts.

Using flash when taking macro shots can be tricky at best. I simply turn the flash off completely and use a strong conventional light (e.g., a desk lamp) to illuminate the subject. If the camera "shake warning" or "use flash" signals appear, simply increase the ISO setting until they disappear. This will ensure that a slow shutter speed won't be selected and create the chance for shaky hands producing a blurred image. (Alternatively,one can use a table top tripod but that's a bit of a bother.)

Nice work Terry. :bow: I see you are putting your new mill to good use. I've never built a Wobbler so I'm learning about them from this build. Thanks for posting the WIP.

I'm with Marv - the photos need no apology, the parts look great.

Cheers,
Phil

Steve,

Looking good.

I'm building Elmer's #1 which is a beam engine. The flywheel, frame and beams are wood and the Cylinder, heads, shafts, crank arm and eccentrics are metal.

I enjoy seeing other peoples work so please keep posting.

SAM

Your build is coming along very nicely Terry Thm:

Regards, Arnold

Well Marv,
the comments re the camera work are taken on board but how to reduce the ISO setting is another matter that the book hasn't given up yet! I'm used to the press and point variety of camera but my new (xmas gift from SWMBO) Olympus E420 DSLR is an animal I'll have to master eventually altho' the problem I suspect is with the manual rather than the Camera

Phil/Arnold
thanks for the support I really do need the encouragement but having so said this number25 would appear to be a really good starting project for any newbies who are looking for a starter project. I would even say that even with only a lathe equipped with a milling slide it would be a reasonable starter build with a better than average chance of success, given that a fair amount of work would have to be done by hand

Sam
I must really apologize for missing your build log.
I found it and caught up on it earlier today. As a retired lifetime woodworker can well identify with the build and the techniques you are using keep up the good work and I will make a point of watching for your ongoing posts well done so far :bow:

Hi all
been away from the shop for the last day or so but have managed to complete the remaining components, first the cylinder pivot pin was soldered in place and the piston and con-rod fabricated. The rod proved an interesting exercise with decisions as to whether to turn first or mill first? I eventually decided to manufacture from the round to the relevant diameters and then to mill the flats. It worked out quite well.

At this stage I decided to lap the piston, an exercise obviously not attempted before but notwithstanding attempted to get to the stage (I'm sure I read it somewhere here) whereby with all holes blocked off the piston remained suspended within the bore and on unblocking the inlet port the piston dropped from the bore, this state of affairs achieved in a much quicker time than I had imagined possible (perhaps I was lucky).
At last, assembly was the order of the day! On my first attempt to assemble the various parts together one thing was very evident, The 1"x1" base rendered the whole assembly "nose heavy" resulting in the engine tipping to rather an unseemly angle. I suspect my decision to use the 3/8" aluminium which was to hand for the frame as the most likely culprit. My solution was to manufacture a sub-base from a scrap piece of aluminium industrial chequer-plate and secured the base to it with a couple of M3 socket head bolts (problem solved) with the machine assembled it sure looks a treat (well my grand-daughter thinks so!) application of air from my air-brush compressor! IT RUNS WHOO-HOO woohoo1

P5140442.jpg

P5130431-1.jpg

An unbelievable feeling of achievement almost like a kid again!
I sadly do not possess a video camera yet but hopefully over the week-end I may be able to rectify this. (does any body use a web-cam for this purpose?) The quality of the output from my web cam is awful (I only use it infrequently on skype)

Thanks for looking

The base adds a bit of panache, I like it. Nice job! Time for the next one. :)

-Trout

Well done Terry ;D - and a very nice and unique example at that Thm:

An unbelievable feeling of achievement almost like a kid again!
Building the engines does that ;D - The buzz doesn't stop with the first one either :big:

Kind regards, Arnold

Terry,

Congratulations.

Looks good. The diamond plate is a nice touch.

Is that copper for the rod and cylinder?

It cost almost as much as gold.

Whats next?

Regards,

SAM

Terry,
Nice engine. Great job, I like the base detail - Thm: You're hooked man ;D

Cheers,
Phil

Many thanks for the comments guys
Trout, Dean,Phil Arnold.

Sam,
the con rod certainly looks like copper but it is in fact Phosphor Bronze the colour cast is I think my camera, as I intimated before there is so much to adjust and I am only just getting to grips with it.

As to my next project, I am giving it some thought and will let you all in on it when I come to a decision. I'm leaning towards another Elmer the #43 a horizontal double acting engine with a reverse.which I think will stretch my new found skills somewhat.

Many thanks for your support

First timer? Terry, that is a fine looking little engine you wound up with. Well done. AFA the thicker materials and the subsequent balance problems, I'd say that you overcame that one quite well too. The diamond plate adds a dimension to the base. What's next? Another #25 now that you know what to expect or something different that presents a new set of surprises and challenges?

BC1
Jim

Well Jim
many thanks for the comments.
as I intimated in my previous post after a lot of thought I think I am going to attempt Elmers #43 but I have to acquire more tooling in the way of taps and dies in order to conform to Elmers plans
regards
TerryT

Latest posts

Back