Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4001firstdiesel

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just joined this forum. I'm an amateur live steam enthusiast with some questions. Could anyone please tell me what lathe type is good for a beginner i.e. reasonably priced, easy to understand etc?

Cheers,
Ben, Australia

Welcome Ben,

It would help us to know what size work you plan on doing. If your interests are in live steam locomotives then you may need something larger than someine whose interests are in smaller stationary engines for example. Some idea of your budget would also be helpful. I feel sure that the members here from Australia can also be of more help with local suppliers or outlets, even in the case of Chinese lathes which seem to be far more prevalent these days. Anyway, good to have you here and stay tuned...I am sure you will get the information you seek.

Regards,
Bill

Thanks ;D Bill for the welcome. I intend on working with 2.5 and 3.5 inch gauge steam locomotives.

Cheers,
Ben

Hi Ben. Welcome to HMEM. I got a chinese lathe 12x36 I think they're referred to. Nice big 1.5" spindle. Runs really well. I paid $2500 from Alltools in lonsdale S.A. i think theyre about $2900 now. It should cover all your home project needs.
Good luck
Herbie

Ben,

Welcome to our forum wEc1

And on behalf of Herbie, that lathe is more than big enough. It's a beauty with a nice bed length.

Best Regards
Bob

Hi Ben
I picked up my Taiwanese lathe for $800 and while its got a few issues its great to learn on, I did not want to distroy a brand new one ;D
Pete
PS where in aus r u?

Thanks ;D Maryak and Metalmad. Metalmad, I live in Sydney. I've emailed Mini tech about small lathes today, although given Pete's post, I may get a 2nd hand one for the same reason & to save some money.

Cheers,
Ben

Latest posts

Back