Newbie mistakes.... not fixing the cheap parts of a machine tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyb

Reaction score
The X stops on my mill... I knew they were not the best.. could slip under a good amount of wheel pressure

and I not only nearly ruined hours of work (its now visually ruined however)

but, I could have been seriously injured if the peice had broken loose.

I was cutting fins on a cylinder with a .125 slitting saw, when the stop decided to move. I had a funny feeling about how many times I turned the handle..sure enough, a darn near paper thin (.01 ish anyway) cylinder wall now.
If it had cut through, that slitting blade would have chucked it really really hard.

the stop bolt threads were nearly gone, and the piece of metal behind it was a ridiculous excuse

lesson is, people tell you to upgrade/clean up/replace screws, etc. in this case its a MUST DO. !!
I am making a list tonight.

Hi Speedy

It happens.....I nearly lost a part today because I was rushed and I didn't lay out the cut before I put it in the mill for some dividing head work.....and I blew it and cut way past!
:wall: :wall: :wall:......I know better...but did it anyway

I brazed two new pieces on and remachined it and it looks fine and will work.....but it was way more work than just laying it out in the first place.....
As they say in the trade....excrement occurs!

Dave

Back